Archinect
anchor

Architect Career Advice

AwbrooklyN

I have 10 years experience total, 1 year ago I completed licensure, and for 2 years I have been working in a mid-range firm that is "just ok". More of an "executive architect" firm. My goal is to get into a more well-known design firm. But the project I work on now gives me great experience and knowledge, I am basically Project architect for a fairly well-know building that is 1 year into construction. Not so well know for the design, but the location (to New Yorkers). It still has 2 years until it's complete. My question is, would it be better to go for the design firm sooner or later? Would they like seeing my experience in construction if I completed the building, or would they not like to see that I haven't worked in a design firm for so long?

The last firm I worked for was really only high-end residential renovation projects, but the design was good. Thanks for your help.

Nov 23, 15 9:19 pm
bennyc

I would stick around and complete the project. I think the knowledge you gain in the building process through completion is invaluable. I do believe architecture is a craft, and it takes time and years of experience to perfect, so I do think you also need exposure to a good design firm. 

Personally, I jumped firms every 2.5 years or so, getting good experience on technical ability, construction, design and management. I think I have gotten a well rounded experience and I see myself as a well rounded architect. I worked for unknown firms as well as well known design firms. 

Be a sponge, absorb the good of every firm, get as much completed projects as you can and hopefully you land in a firm that makes you happy and stick around until better and bigger things come along. 

Nov 30, 15 8:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: