Archinect
anchor

Best strategy for job hunting?

Greetings.

I'm an architect living in London and for a few weeks now I've been looking for a job in an architectural practice. I would just like to know what you think about what is the best strategy to landing a job in this seemingly very demanding and exclusive industry.

So far the strategy I've employed is to look and register with employment agencies that work inside the industry and to also look directly at the practice's websites and see if they are hiring. Whenever I see an open position I write my cover letter and send it together with my CV and portfolio to the email or address they provide. In the past 3 weeks I must have sent around 70 applications already and have only heard back from a handful of them.I have relevant experience, I do the research and try to personalize my cover letters as much as possible, I have a nice portfolio (or so I think) and my CV paints me as a good candidate. So, if i'm getting so few responses that makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

My main doubt is if this, let's call it, "passive" strategy of staying at home and remotely sending my application to an email address or physical address is the best course of action. And the reason I'm asking is that some people I know have told me I should be more aggressive and actually go to the practices in person to hand in my application. Personally I don't think so and here are my reasons:

1. From my experience I have the impression that architectural practices tend to be very close, in the sense that not even clients show up without emailing or calling first;

2. The managing directors, the people who have the decision power to hire you, are often out of the office in meetings or on site so the chances of catching them at the office are very slim. Obviously I can just leave my application with the office manager;

3. I have never come across a job ad saying specifically that applicants should come in person to deliver their application, probably because they don't want tens or hundreds of people constantly at the door, disrupting their work. By receiving applications via email or mail they can go through them when they have time and without pressure;

4. It's expensive. Delivering an application in person means I have to print a copy of my CV and portfolio which is a somewhat big investment, specially when a lot of the offices do not return the portfolio when their done with it.

The people who encourage me to be more aggressive basically say that since there is a lot of demand the only way to stand out is to show up in person, even when that goes against the instructions written in the ads. Personally, I think that going against those instructions would probably end up hurting my chances. Sure some practices might see that tenacity as a good trait but most will interpret that as an inability to follow simple instructions

So, what do you people think about this? Between the "passive" and the "aggressive" stance, which would most likely land you a job in architecture?I would love to hear your opinions and tips.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Cheers,

Afonso G.

Nov 19, 15 6:05 pm
tduds

Personally, I think that going against those instructions would probably end up hurting my chances.

Bingo. 

Nov 19, 15 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

First, Know someone - if you don't, go to networking events

otherwise:

1. Call firms, ask for if hiring/person in charge of hiring (if hiring) ask for who to direct an email to inquire

2. Email your stuff

3. If you don't hear back in a week or so, call again to confirm they got the info and the possibility of setting up an interview or the possibility of stopping by to show your portfolio (which IMO needs work)

The firms I've worked at were livid every time someone showed up unannounced but that's YMMV and I was in a major US city so it might be different

Nov 19, 15 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Europe has always been a slower pace than the US, I can imagine right now it's even slower; be patient, I had to wait 4 months in Italy to get a job, and that was normal.

Nov 19, 15 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I can offer advice when it comes to London, some agencies I recommend would be:

Eden Brown

BespokeCareers

Adrem Group

Dezeen < Job board

and put your CV onto Jobsite.co.uk, this website alone gets me 20 recruiters calling me everyday.

Nov 20, 15 4:03 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Try to find someone who already works there, who can get you the name of the person to talk to about an "informational interview".

Even better, get this person to set up a coffee or lunch w a key person.

That's how I do it.

And, decide the top 3 or 5 you want to work for and focus your time just on them. Rinse and repeat.
Nov 20, 15 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

gruen, thank you for your comment. Unfortunately I've only been in the UK for little more than 4 months and my network is still quite small. I got a few references from the people I used to work for but I haven't had much luck with that either.

Nov 23, 15 7:48 am  · 
 · 

archiwutm8, thank you for your comment. I have already contacted all those agencies and have hear back from one or two. I didn't know about Jobsite so I have registered with them now.

Nov 23, 15 7:51 am  · 
 · 

JLC-1, thank you for your comment. Yeah people have told me to be ready to wait 2-6 months until I find something. I may have to find some temp work in the meantime to cover my bills and hope to get a more permanent job later.

Nov 23, 15 7:53 am  · 
 · 

SpatialSojourner, thank you for your comments. That's pretty much what I have been doing so far, although I don't necessarily call them first. I find if they are hiring and send my information to their email. Only then, when I need to follow up, will I call them.

As for my portfolio I must admit it's not the best as I had to put it together in a bit of a hurry. When I came to the UK I already had a job secured so I didn't have to update my old portfolio publication. I have made a few changes now and I think it't a bit better, even though it still remains a sample portfolio. I have invested much more time on a website portfolio that I maintain much more religiously and I always send a link to that with my applications.

Nov 23, 15 8:03 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Afonso, Where in London do you live? if you have some skills in autoCAD/Revit/Civils I might be able to hook you up with a decent paying job whilst you look for another job. However it will be a software support role.

Nov 23, 15 8:28 am  · 
 · 

archiwutm8, I live in South West London near Fulham. I am quite proficient with AutoCAD since I've been using it for more than 6 years. As for Revit I started using it 2 years ago but it's not a tool I've had the opportunity to use a lot, and not in a professional practice. On both I work exclusively with architectural design so no MEP or Civil design.

If you know of any opportunity, even a short-term one, I would be very grateful if you could give me more information about it. Might be worth giving it a shot.

Nov 24, 15 5:51 am  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

The most effective strategy for job/career searching is NETWORKING.  Granted, you may have just recently moved to London, but that is no reason to have a small network. 

Everyone you know should know you are seeking a position regardless of whether they are in the field or not.  You should have them working for you -- you capitalize on their networks.

Become involved in the architectural profession - attend lectures, galleries or other places where architects may be -- volunteer with groups or organizations -- join RIBA or other associations to connect with architects.

Research the firms to which you most wish to work and NETWORK you way to someone who works there to connect to the hiring manager.

Remember, job searching is a full-time job -- you should be spending 6-8 hours a day to secure a position.  It is hard work, but it will pay off.

BEST!

Nov 24, 15 6:33 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

The job I have will be quite a commute for you, its on the northern side of London but I'm sure with your experience you'd get the job but its up to you how long you are willing to commute for. Fulham to Enfield Lock.

Nov 24, 15 6:34 am  · 
 · 

Dr. Architecture, indeed. All the jobs I've had so far where acquired from connections. Either friends or teachers I had with whom I met after graduating. I am on the look out for events here in London and my previous colleagues know the situation I'm in and I trust they will let me know if something comes up. I still meet them very now and then for a drink just to make sure they don't forget me! Thank you for your comment.

Nov 24, 15 10:32 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Agreed with the networking - nothing can quite replace contacts.  In our office we lean heavily on connections with current staff and one placement office that the management works with on an ongoing basis.  The idea is that the person recommending and the recommended both have an extra obligation to ensure that they work hard.  It's also a good read on the personality fit - in smaller offices it's pretty critical that the personalities click as well as the work getting done.

Nov 24, 15 10:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: