Archinect
anchor

Credit for Design while at a large firm

A.I.

How are individual architects able to maintain the spotlight for designs developed while under employment at a large firm?

The two examples I'm looking at are Adrian Smith and David Childs, both employees (Adrian former) at SOM while they developed their respective projects (Burj Khalifa & One World Trade Center).  In other words, how are you able to brand yourself as a designer of the project both within your firm and independently of your firm as an individual architect?  Is this common in other large architecture corporations? 

Nov 3, 15 11:43 pm
natematt

Large firms actually tend to be very compartmentalized, and people tend to often end up in specific roles.

As such, if you are a lead designer on a lot of projects in a skyscraper studio within a major firm, you are likely to be able to present yourself, and even be known by others outside your office for your abilities and experience.

I think it's easier to specialize. You might own a firm of ten, and have your name on the door, but you probably don't ever build a large hospital or skyscraper. You could be a sr designer at  a large office and you might have your name on the sheets as THE designer for 20 hospitals, or 20 skyscrapers. It's all a matter of perspective and leverage.

Nov 4, 15 1:18 am  · 
 · 
3tk

+1 natematt

Most large firms have lead designers - they may be partners, but also senior staff that 'lead' the design effort.  They are often the reason clients come to those firms in many cases and the ownership is well aware of that. Project management is, at a certain size office, a separate matter entirely.

Junior staff that are talented can develop their skills under the tutelage of senior designers and may be able to gain recognition (particularly if they can bring in work), but otherwise move out to start their own practice (too many cooks in the kitchen is never good) - see all the OMA alumni for how that may work.

Nov 4, 15 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: