Archinect
anchor

What to see in LONDON!!??

Hey everyone,

I live in LA, N I'm traveling to London next week.  I would appreciate it if you guys share your ideas of where to go and what to see (architecturally and culturally) valuable. 

I actually prefer to hear more about the less known places.... That's cause I for sure will go to see London Bridge or...!

Jul 20, 11 2:42 am
Paulie

Go to Camden in London, its a good spot for night life, kind of like New York's lower east side

Catch a train to Cambridge (20 pounds or so roundtrip) to see more English people in action. People are much nicer outside London

Seven sisters is also pretty nice, its like the white cliffs of dover, but cheaper.

-Zumthors pavilion is up in the park too

Jul 20, 11 11:54 am  · 
 · 
medi

Besides for London?

Jul 20, 11 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
KD153

No...Everywhere within and around  London

Jul 21, 11 1:03 am  · 
 · 
L1

I think the new Jean Nouvel shopping centre by St. Pauls is really worth a visit mainly due to the view from the roof of "Upper London" but also because it's a shopping centre in the middle of an old city that is not pastiche, it's outdoor with routes through and seems sucessful (and my opinion of Nouvel is mostly not high).

Jul 22, 11 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

Take a side trip to Paris.

Jul 23, 11 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

must go to Soane's house. 

Jul 24, 11 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Recently completed buildings that I think are worth a visit: HdM's Laban Centre, OMA's New Court Rothschild, Hadid's Evelyn Grace Academy, Piano's Central St Giles. Some of these you may not be able to enter, so call in advance to see if you can organise a tour. Some of Adjaye's stuff is nice, with the Whitechapel Ideas Store of note. Nouvel's One New Change is disappointing, but you may still want to visit. Zumthor's Serpentine is open, but again not as good as it could have been.

Jul 24, 11 11:35 am  · 
 · 
lekizz

>>> That's cause I for sure will go to see London Bridge or...!

Don't bother with London Bridge, it's a dull 1970's affair ...I expect you meant Tower Bridge ;)

Actually, the areas around Tower Bridge, Southwark and the South Bank (of the Thames) are quite interesting, a curious mixture of medieval, C18th and modern. There are some interesting new offices and housing, as well as the Design Museum and the Tate Modern.

Jul 27, 11 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
LaNC

on a more cultural side, brick lane market on a sunday is great (especially if the sun is out..) and just walking along the canals is also lovely

Jul 28, 11 11:55 am  · 
 · 
jplourde

Zumthor's Serpentine Pavilion is dissappointing.  I don't know if I would necessarily recommend it to a enemy.

Most of the contemporary architecture has already been noticed, so I won't beat a dead horse.

I'd add the Barbican as an interesting piece of 'brutalism'.  

I'd also say that Brick Lane Market is absolutely mobbed on Sunday.  Not necessarily a reason to avoid, just be prepared for sardine shoulder to shoulder crowds!  Otherwise I would recommend Broadway Market [in London Fields], Columbia Rd Flower market, and Borough Market on Saturday.  

Other misc. crap:

The AA bookstore is pretty good [Bedford Sq].  

For a truer British experience you need to go outside London.  Oxford is more interesting architecturally, but Cambridge is prettier.  Brighton is decent for a 'Coney Island' vibe. Bath has Roman ruins.

The north east is pretty nice:  Dalston, Camden, Angel, Islington, Hackney, Shoreditch all give off a pseudo Brooklyn vibe.  [In the Williamsburg, Greenpoint, LIC vein, if that's what you're into.]

The south west has Brixton and Putney.  I'd go to Brixton for bars and music and Putney for a nice walk along the Thames.

I'm a sap, so I don't mind the usual St. Paul's, Gherkin, Tate Modern, Westminster Abbey, etc.

The Saatchi gallery typically has a good show and the basement has an interesting permanent installation.

Jul 28, 11 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

Rent a car and drive or take the train to Bath.  Bath is the most architecturally coherent city I've ever visited.  Beautiful 18th century Georgian architecture - picture perfect. As an added bonus, along the road from London to Bath is Stonehenge.

Jul 29, 11 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

Take a walk along Regent's Canal or go further east to Thames Path and all the way to the Thames Barrier. There, you'll get to admire the industrial past of London. And stop by Greenwich while you're there.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/travel+content/audio

Jul 29, 11 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
Landman

This "London Architecture' google map is quite great...

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=51.458285,-0.125656&spn=0.197661,0.464859&z=11&om=1&msid=115821088946460951934.000001130692738a896ab

Has not been updated during the past year...but still...has all the classics..as well as "hole in the wall" pubs.

Easy to plan day walks/trips with this -- best to wander with an iphone...

Jul 31, 11 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
thomastmiller

Soane's house definitely.    Tuesday evening is special candlelight tour.  Get there early, get in line, it's worth it.

I got a great kick out of the Egyptian stairway at Herrod's.

Jul 31, 11 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: