Archinect
anchor

Need advice on how to prepare

Suzar

Hello everyone,

i completed my graduation in architecture back in Indiain 2010. Then I started masters in product design but due to some personal issues was unable to complete the course. After that  I got married and came to california with my husband as he works here. I have a one year old daughter and I am a full time mom now. I want to practice architecture when my daughter is a little older. I need advice on how I can use my current time at home to prepare in order to apply for job in architectural firms. I donot have any considerable work to show as it was long back since I studied architecture. I never worked as an architect after graduation. How can I start building my portfolio. Also I am clueless about architectural practice in USA. I really need some advice on where and how to start.

Thanking you in advance.

Oct 13, 15 5:30 pm

Hi Suzar,

If you want to be a licensed architect at some point you can start by verifying your education with NCARB and enrolling in the IDP.

http://www.ncarb.org/

Since you are just getting started this article might be helpful for you.

3 Tips to Get An Architecture Job With No Experience

Good luck!

Brandon

Oct 13, 15 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

1. network - be active in local architecture/construction organizations, attend lectures, etc to meet people

2. keep up to date with local trends: construction, codes, permitting; can be done through lectures and organizational meetings, also conferences.

3. make sure you're up-to-speed on current software: Revit, AutoCAD, Adobe CC

You might stick your head into local schools to see what you'll be competing against (and remember that a lot of your competition will be willing and able to work much longer hours b/c they don't have family obligations).  Also, see what local firms are asking for on their postings.

There are also 'learning packs' of online course material from NCARB/AIA that could help you gain a better understanding of some of the issues that come up in practice.

If you can get some part time work with local firms to establish some work history and contacts, that may be your best bet.

Oct 14, 15 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: