Archinect
anchor

Should Revit (BIM) influent my choice of a firm?

LucasV

Hello Archinect!

I'm currently in my 2nd master of architecture school and i'm slowly starting my search for my internship next year. Now I have been working with Revit Architecture (BIM) for over 4 years now and I'd rather keep using the program (although the most it was self study and i'm medium+ skilled). Many are convinced (including myself) that BIM-programs are the future for architectural drawings so I guess its quite important...

But should it influent my choice of a firm? Can I / should I reject some offers to work somewhere if they are not using this BIM software or is this just ridiculous to ask?

anyone with some experience in this matter?

Thanks already!

Lucas

Oct 8, 15 9:50 am
curtkram

if you're just looking at internships, you'll only be working there for a couple months.  even if you've just graduated, you probably aren't looking at working somewhere long-term as a career, you're looking at stepping-stone jobs to help build your resume and work experience.

decided what's important to you.  if it's building a career in revit modelling, then prioritize that.  if buildings are important, prioritize buildings.  if interior design is important, then your priority is to work somewhere that does interior design you like.

aside from that, don't turn down work.  get a job.  get some money.  if you really have so many offers that you're turning employers away, well that's pretty cool.  good on you.

Oct 8, 15 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Software does not make one a good, or even moderately competent architect. It's just a tool like any other and unless you have real-world experience running BIM projects, your skill level and experience can't be worth much.  Best to seek  entry into large, even multidisciplinary, offices that utilize all the good stuff BIM has to offer.

But don't be so quick in discarding good ol' CAD. It remains an important tool and in some cases is more efficient than Revit. A job offer regardless of my tools they use is better than none and a few weeks working in any busy office will beat years of "self-taught" skills.

Just make sure your "interships" are paid positions. You're a fool if you work for free.

Oct 8, 15 10:05 am  · 
 · 
midlander

It's reasonable to consider as a factor in choosing firms, though it shouldn't be the only thing you look for. Try to look for firms doing a project type you are interested in or an approach to design you admire and who also use BIM. It will give you a much better sense of the real value and limitations of the software than what you get at school.

While you should always seek paid internships, try to find ones that will give you an opportunity to learn something you think is worthwhile. That will put you in a much better position when you actually look to work full-time after graduation.

Oct 8, 15 11:19 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Any professional experience that is paid is good experience when you're a fresh grad. However over the long term, your knowledge of software will become more important.

You can get by with autocad and sketchup, but revit is becoming more and more in demand. Check out job listings on this website. More and more want proven office experience with revit or familiarity with it at a minimum.
Oct 8, 15 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

If you want to work for someone else all your life, software choice matters.

If you plan on owning your own firm later on, it does not.

That's my take.

Oct 8, 15 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

Also, just a reminder that the next recession is around the corner. Be mindful. Memento mori and all that jazz.

Oct 8, 15 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

Do not make your choice by a software, unless you want to be a BIM technician or something. 

Go to place that most interests you, in terms of design, thinking, location etc.

​Based on my experience the companies / studios that did not use Revit were much more interesting, creative and somewhat different tan the ones that used Revit.

BIM is a great method, but it should not be a determining point. IMHO

p.s. been Revit user since 2006.

Oct 8, 15 3:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: