Archinect
anchor

Architecture and Transparent Politics

irza

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the process of narrowing down my scope of study for my master thesis. And i'm having trouble in identifying the main ethos of the research. 

I have always been interested in finding how architecture can play a role in the democracy process. Most of the countries in the world are currently facing serious political issues such as corruption, limited freedom of speech and controlled elections. I believe the nature of the world that we live in right now somehow allowed these terrible things to continuously occur. And the built environment is a big part of that. Shady and suspicious work of the politicians are done behind closed doors, far away from the eyes of the common people. And the media only shows what the ruling parties or authority want us to see. 

Architecture alone will not change this obviously. But it has to start somewhere and architecture can play a significant role i believe. I'm intending to study the possibility of reforming and revising the relation between the rulers and their subject through architecture. A space (maybe) where the democracy process can be visible to and participated by the common people. A space where people of different believes and political stand can sit together and voice out their opinions. An arena where the few elites from the higher level have to stand face to face with the people they sworn to serve.

The concept can be very specific to one context (country, place, region), and have the possibility to be very generic and applied in different parts of the world. 

What do you guys think? Any opinions, arguments or reading references are welcomed. Cheers!

Oct 5, 15 9:55 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: