Archinect
anchor

Doing Business In Dubai

Good Day

Does anyone know the procedure for doing Business in Dubai?

Do you need to seal drawings and have them submitted to a governing agency for review?

What is the permitting process like?

Do engineers and project managers require a work permit?

Thanks  

Sep 15, 15 10:28 am
Non Sequitur

Unless you have a penis and are not of a nationality / ethnicity shared with their slaves, I'd refrain from that part of the world.

Sep 15, 15 10:38 am  · 
 · 
A.I.

Each Emirate has their own municipality that reviews and approves drawings to issue building permits.  Unless your firm is licensed in that specific Emirate, you would need to have all the drawings submitted through an 'Architect of Record' that does have a license to practice in that specific Emirate.

Most of the building codes in the Emirates are copy paste from American, British, IBC, or a mix of all of the above.  Some are obviously more mature than others, but it's pretty straight forward.

With regards to getting a work visa, it would depend on whether you'll be registered in a free zone (ex. DIFC, Jebel Ali, etc.) or in a specific Emirate.  Work visas are issued by your employer, or if you're opening your own company, it would be under that established entity.

As far as Mr. Non Sequiter's comment regarding "penises", I would ignore that entirely.  There are plenty of successful independent women here of all nationalities and religions practicing in Architecture and other fields.  While the Emirates does have much to improve upon and be critical of (and I'll be the first to point out all of the glaringly obvious problems); considering all the chaos happening in the region, I believe it's a bit immature to ignorantly criticize the only area in the Middle East that seems to have their shit together and is working toward an increasingly more progressive society and open relationship with the West.

You never really overcome the indoctrinated arrogance of American academia (like I did) until you do practice abroad and see things with your own eyes.

Sep 16, 15 3:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: