Archinect
anchor

States with the best architectural stamps?

null pointer

edited. i'm not even trying anymore.

Sep 15, 15 10:15 am  · 
 · 
gruen

Best to check your state's stamping requirements. In MA - it's OK to use a digital stamp, but it gets funny with a digital signature - they don't allow a scanned copy of your signature, you have to somehow digitally sign - I suppose like digitally signing a PDF? It's very unclear, so I always hand sign my MA sets. But I'd do my digital signature in a heartbeat if I could. 

Honestly, If I get to the point of stamping and signing, I've reviewed them. Taking more time for a fairly simple task does not make my liability lower. If it did, I'd hand draft everything LOL. 

Sep 15, 15 10:54 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

always wanted to stamp silly shit for fun. like something that is very murky and unclear and so absurd the examiner would respond - what the hell! no actual intentions of doing it, just to keep the DOB on their toes.......wait,is that legal? does it need to be ink or digital if I intend on being funny

Sep 15, 15 10:57 am  · 
 · 

Until I become a partner at a firm or start running my own practice, the only things I'll be stamping are my Christmas cards.

Sep 15, 15 11:18 am  · 
 · 

So David, your initial licensure will be in New York? That's actually kinda cool on its own, no matter the stamp appearance.

Sep 15, 15 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, I was living and working in NYC when I filed the paperwork last year, so that's where I'll be getting my initial license. As soon as I'm registered in New York and NCARB certified, I plan on getting reciprocal licensure in Ohio (where I currently live) and maybe in Washington, Oregon, and/or Pennsylvania (where I plan on applying for jobs next year). A part of me also wants to get reciprocal registration in Kentucky as well, since that's my home state and it's just across the river from Cincinnati, for sentimental reasons and in case I pick up some freelance work there.

Sep 15, 15 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Where in PA are you thinking of applying?

Sep 15, 15 1:11 pm  · 
 · 

Philadelphia. I lived there for a bit in 2002-04, there are some good firms there, it's close enough to NYC that it's almost a suburb, has a great urban vibe, but is still relatively affordable for normal people. It's also a day's drive from Cincinnati (my hometown), which is a factor now that my parents are getting older and starting to deal with some serious health issues.

That said, part of me still really wants to live in the Pacific Northwest. I just wish the east coast and west coast weren't 3000 miles apart from each other.

Sep 15, 15 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

Wait and get the firms you work for to pay for your licenses in other states, or until you have a freelance project lined up that requires it.  If you're already licensed elsewhere and NCARB certified it won't usually be an issue for an employer that you're not licensed in their state yet.  And most of the states you listed also let an NCARB certificate holder solicit projects in their state as long as you get the license before you enter into the contract.  Save all those $400 NCARB transmittals and $150 to $800 annual dues.

Sep 15, 15 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

No rush in getting to the pacific northwest. Get licensed and NCARB Cert. (you can get into Washington without it but for the Oregon license....that would probably be needed).

Wish you best in getting there. Second JBeaumont.

Sep 15, 15 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

NCARB won't transmit the records of certificate-eligible people anymore unless they get certified.  So even when the state doesn't specifically require NCARB certification for reciprocity, it is effectively required anyway if the person is eligible and the state requires the test record directly from NCARB. 

Sep 15, 15 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

Ouch, I didn't realize NCARB charges $400 for each transmittal. That certainly changes the calculus a bit.

Balkins, I'm perfectly capable of figuring out my career plans without your "helpful" advice.

Sep 15, 15 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

A few states will grant reciprocity just on the basis of endorsement of another state's license, but most require your test results be transmitted directly from NCARB, and that costs $400 every time you transmit them, except the one "free" transmittal to the state where you get your initial license - that one is included in your IDP fees.

I've always built the license fees into my negotiations with firms when they're trying to hire me, or built it into the fee for private clients in other states.

Sep 15, 15 2:53 pm  · 
 · 

Gotcha. I'll probably get reciprocal registration in Ohio because I currently live here and already have some leads on freelance work. The other states can wait until I have a specific reason for getting registered here (although I like the idea of getting registered in California just so I can design my own stamp).

Sep 15, 15 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

David, you're going to get in trouble with Studios, careful there. I'd be careful. Not that I'm going to tell, I like you.

Sep 15, 15 3:46 pm  · 
 · 

Huh? I'm no longer employed by Studios. Any freelance work I'd pick up is small-scale residential stuff anyway; not even a blip on their radar screen.

Sep 15, 15 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Oops, I thought you were.

Cool!

Sep 15, 15 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Philly to Cinci is a long drive.

I have family in the 'nati. Nice town.

Sep 15, 15 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

About 9 hours. I've driven the PA Turnpike enough times that I could probably do it blindfolded by now.

Sep 15, 15 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

*shudder*

I prefer 80 for the scenery, but the trucks make it very unpleasant. Either route during the fall is a beautiful drive. Then you hit the middle of Ohio and fall asleep from boredom...

Man, I miss PA sometimes.

Sep 15, 15 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

just found out the hard way the New Jersey requires embossed drawings - Does anyone know of any other states with this requirement?  Haven't had much luck finding a list online

Mar 28, 16 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

Mar 28, 16 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

and shuellmi the embosser is the property of the state. embossing sucks.

Mar 28, 16 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Today was the first time of every seen or used one before, kinda cool if not for the barrage of angry emails from our client

Mar 28, 16 9:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: