Archinect
anchor

AIA Compensation Calculator

A.I.

http://info.aia.org/salary/

CEO/Principal/Director of Design average salaries are all really close.  Is that normal?  I expected Principal/CEO salaries to be a little higher.

Aug 23, 15 4:30 am
jp22

In a lot of firms, wouldn't people fill multiple roles? I wonder how the survey accounted for that. 

Aug 23, 15 7:36 am  · 
 · 
corbismyhomeboy

I wonder this too. Especially in firms 5 or less where everyone has to share receptionist/office assistant duties out of necessity.  My office is on the smaller side - about 13 in the studio - so people fill in where necessary based on their experience, knowledge level, and current workload.  It's not so cut and dry in small firms as it reads on the position descriptions provided by AIA.

Aug 31, 17 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

In a smaller or medium sized firm, the owner/principal is the defacto director of design.  Salary surveys are something to approach with major skepticism.  In this profession, people are sometimes reluctant to admit to a stranger, much less to themselves, just how little they really make.

Aug 23, 15 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

I see this topic of "survey accuracy" completely different than does geezertect -- especially with respect to the AIA compensation surveys.

On three different occasions I served on the AIA committee that designed earlier versions of their compensation survey. The information being requested -- and being provided -- is obtained and processed in a completely confidential and anonymous manner. For that reason, there is no reason whatsoever for participants to 'fudge' the numbers. 

Aug 23, 15 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Whats this I hear that some with 3 years exp. with Revit, Dynamo,Grasshopper and Rhino are getting 70 - 75k in bay area?

Aug 31, 17 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

good for them! sf is stupidly expensive.

Aug 31, 17 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

pretty sure their rent is 36k/year

Aug 31, 17 1:14 pm  · 
 · 

If they can get it, let them get it. Also, what ivorykeyboard said.

Aug 31, 17 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: