Archinect
anchor

BIM technician interview

archiwutm8

Hi guys, I've decided to transfer to be a BIM technician for a while.

I was wondering if this type of role normally requires a portfolio? and if any has experience in what type of questions are normally asked.

Thanks in advance with replies.

Aug 17, 15 5:46 pm
chigurh

what qualifies you to become a BIM technician?

Aug 17, 15 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

How to be a BIM Technician Handbook for Dummies just released and has revolutionized how quickly you can take any normal citizen and turn them in to an tambourine clapping monkey! It dovetails nicely with any career field, including but not limited to girl scouting, pizza delivery drivers, Kirby vacuum salesman, hog farming, and bull riding!

Aug 17, 15 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

"Slow Clap" That elitist feel is strong within you DeTwan, you deserve a rare Pepe.

Aug 17, 15 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Where'd you find that pic of me? I am a moderator on here too asshat! You wanna dance to this "ban" joe?

Takes a troll to smell a troll...

Aug 17, 15 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

And I was merely hinting at professions that are short in their duration...your suggestion of me and my elitism purely reflects on ones self, not me.Image result for elitist bitch

Aug 17, 15 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Aug 17, 15 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
A.I.

What does BIM technician mean?  As in part of the BIM Management team as a coordinator, or just a software modeler?  Most Architects & Engineers work directly in the BIM softwares anyway, so what is different about being a 'technician'?

At our firm, the specialized "BIM employees" are called coordinators that exist somewhere in between design & BIM management and are required to be Architects or Engineers by training.

Aug 18, 15 12:19 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Knowing the software is insufficient. You have to know how to put a building together before stepping into BIM management terretory.
Aug 18, 15 6:43 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

AI, my question exactly...I think BIM technician is just a fancy new title for a BIM CAD monkey.  The position that I would be interested in is a BIM manager (I guess, although this terminology is questionable); Who do you hire to come in and implement BIM in an office? Setting up overall standards?  Super clean parametric families, categorized elements and such.  Seems like a project can just blow up in slop with a bunch of beginners cranking away, plus the more custom the design, the less the "out of the box" tools work, therefore creating a need to create a whole bunch of custom objects/families.  Where does one get the training or know-how to really do all of this shit right, I think people with this skill-set are few and far.  That is who I would want to hire.  

Aug 18, 15 9:56 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

what does a bim technician get paid?

if the bim technician sets up an office standard that actually works, don't they become redundant once it's implemented, and therefore not worth anything anymore?

Aug 18, 15 10:06 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

In most cases a BIM tech is going to be your cad monkey, but just on a BIM platform & perhaps autocad too. Most of these jobs are "intern" jobs. Some of the positions are looking for a BIM coordinator, one whom does setup the entire office on what ever program, makes the families, etc. Most position that are looking for 'coordinators' outlines this quite bluntly.  Those ppl are probably still in heavy demand. I know they where several years ago, and they got/get paid pretty dang well since they are independent and work contractually. Most of the time the stint last 3-6 months and the coordinator is off to another office somewhere on the planet to teach the next firm or office. Obliviously, there are full time coordinators that work solely within one firm, and the job titles ranging from "BIM Technician" to "BIM coordinator" vary widely in scope of work depending the position....in the end it is just a cute term to use to skirt the verbiage of "architectural Intern".

The OP never did mention what they did for a job, and why the switch over?  

Aug 18, 15 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Soon the word "Technician" will be banned of use by NCARB and the AIA.

What does removing the term "intern" do for architecture? It's like calling waterboarding, enhanced interrogation.

Aug 18, 15 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Most of these jobs are interns? absolutely not and the question about what a "technician" gets paid, I am being offered double what my architect peers are.

Aug 25, 15 8:35 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^then your peers are grossly underpaid

Aug 25, 15 9:14 am  · 
 · 
TheRevitKid

The term "BIM Technician" is going to carry a different meaning at every company who uses it... Is it an architecture firm? Engineering? Contractor?

The fact that you are unsure of what knowledge/portfolio/experience is required for the role they are soliciting means either they don't know what they are asking for, you are unqualified, or both... IMO

Aug 25, 15 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
A.I.

A "BIM Technician" should just be an Architect or Engineer constructing the virtual model using the readily available tools while responding to design requirements simultaneously.

I don't like the overuse of the term to describe people's titles by somehow detaching BIM from Architecture or Architecture from BIM.  It's all a part of the same process, and labeling someone as a "BIM Technician", as if that makes them less of an Architect or Engineer, is ridiculous.

The way Non Sequiter put it makes the most sense.  The best BIM Management professionals are those that know how a building is put together.  Casting them aside as some sort of specialized IT team does a disservice to both them and the process.

Last time I checked, there weren't "Pencil Technicians" in the past.  Even draftsmen had to understand the basics of Architecture and Building Construction.

Aug 27, 15 6:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: