Archinect
anchor

Once you gain a bit of experience in architecture, how do you make local contacts for additional side work?

jp22

Just something I've noticed in my current office. We don't have any local work at the moment, but some people there manage to take on really small jobs / consulting work. And it's something I'm eventually interested in eventually doing to gain some small/residential project experience on my own. 

How do you foster those relationships? Currently I have some contacts with local non-profit groups, but I haven't really done much with them. I guess I'm not sure how to prove myself, or go about offering to work with them...etc. 

Thanks

Aug 15, 15 8:47 am
Sharonda

The best option is just to go for it, get yourself out there and communicate. This is the basis for any good architect-being able to communicate your skills and being able to understand the clients vision-if you can do these things you will reach a better understanding of exactly what's required of you, and where your real skills lie. Peter Morrison at RMJM taught me that on my placement, very good advice.

If there's very little work coming into the office-try to find out why they didn't consider your firm when discussing with prospective clients-that could give you a better idea of what they really want and where your firm is not achieving the full potential. You never know, you could end up bringing more business to the office. As for consulting work, it's all about the research-find out what it is people look for and you'll get a better idea of what to research. 

Sep 23, 15 11:52 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

Become really good at getting permits.

I'm sure Olaf and I went on our respective rants about it earlier, but if you can traverse the permitting process yourself (or know who to turn to to handle it), you'll be sought-after for smaller stuff which you can use to talk clients into larger work.

Sep 23, 15 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

agree /\ this a very round about way to get desig work if you like, but you always control the design - i.e. that will not get approved........i did a lot of consulting for other architects, engineers,artists, etc....what eventually happens in this world one of these guys gets a client they do not want amd paw it off on you, ot always great but its a start.....even better though if you consult for mon architects like engineers because they will eventually just bring you in as the architect.......i work to get more work,and that works out pretty well.

Sep 23, 15 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Olaf I can identify with your last statement - 'work to get more work' it's a ziphian thing. The more you're used, the more likely you are to get used. The key, in the beginning anyway, is to convince clients to try you out, no matter what it takes.

its really just that simple ime-whether talking about starting a business, moonlighting, getting a job, convincing your boss to let you use a new program, etc

Sep 26, 15 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: