Archinect
anchor

Starting Out - How do you handle requests for references?

null pointer

When starting out, how do you handle requests for references?

I have quite a few, except they aren't the right ones for the scale of the work I am pursuing (they are people with whom I've worked with in much larger buildings, and I am looking for smaller work to start on).

Jul 31, 15 5:39 pm
awaiting_deletion

recommend trusted people who trust you. i explain the type of work even not related. some clients know it doesnt matter. if scale is an issue call up the reference and ask them to help you. surely in the big projects you did amall things.

Jul 31, 15 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Don't like the concept of "references", the idea of two people talking about me privately... even friends can say stupid things and the listening stranger has no point of reference.... no need for "references" per se today, use Facebook to get started.... show your work, throw up some sketches, and let the dialog and "Likes"  be your "references".

Jul 31, 15 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

In my city (Los Angeles) I've noticed a lot of people starting out simply lie about their experience and credentials, including whether they are licensed architects or not. Nothing bad ever seems to come out of it for them. You could try this approach to get around their request for references.

Aug 4, 15 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
thearchitectsguide

Let's look at the typical reasons for requiring references:

1. Verify the information you have provided is correct

2. Are you a reliable, competent employee?

3. How do you perform in a team / project environment?

The qualities and information they are looking for with a reference is often independent of your specific project experience. So while you may be concerned that your references only know your large scale project experence it should not be a major issue. This could even be a benefit to your application. The ability to handle large complex projects logically implies that you would be able to deal with issues on simpler buildings.

Good luck!

Brandon

thearchitectsguide.com

Aug 4, 15 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Brandon, 

That's how a hiring manager thinks. I don't think clients think in that sort of streamlined fashion. I am using a weird fucking narrative these days. Clients like stories.

Aug 4, 15 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
thearchitectsguide

I see. I thought you were referring to employment references, not client. I can see how it might be a tough sell to a residential client if you have only been working on airports and towers.

To get things rolling on the first couple of projects could you possibly partner up with someone that has a small scale project portfolio? Then once you have a few testimonials built up go completely solo?

Aug 4, 15 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

It is, I think, a mistake to assume all potential clients ask for references for the same reasons.

My advice - upon receiving such a request, ask the client what they hope to learn (so you can provide them with the most appropriate individuals)  -- if it's primarily about such things as your technical competence, budget and schedule control and approach to client management, scale of project isn't necessarily relevant and you should be able to provide adequate coverage with your existing references.

However, if it's more about relevant experience with your current project type, then you need a Plan B - meaning, specific references who can focus tightly on your flexibility, creativity, problem-solving ability, etc. - along with what you call "a weird fucking narrative" - until you have some actual completed projects of that type in your portfolio.

Good luck.

Aug 4, 15 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^ The problem with "references" is the “haywire”.

Aug 4, 15 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

IMO, "haywire" references were neither properly vetted nor properly prepared for the call. Good reference take a lot of work.

Aug 4, 15 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: