Archinect
anchor

Portfolio for professionals

Taso

Could somebody share some experiences or advice about making portfolio as a professional (non-student)? After working at a small design firm for few years, now I'm trying to change the office, but I only have an academic portfolio I created when I was in school. To be honest, it looks terrible and kinda embarrassing to just look at it. Some stuff I see online like ISSUU looks very pretty, but I can't find anything done by experienced architects / designers. I think an academic portfolio and a professional portfolio should look different somehow. Or, does everyone use same layout but using a real photo instead of renderings? How about you don't have pictures yet because the building is still under construction?

I'm sure everyone has the similar experience. Please share your story here. Thank you.

Jul 21, 15 12:08 am
gwharton

As a professional, you should structure your portfolio exactly the same way you would create marketing brochures for your firm. If you can't do that yourself, hire a graphic designer to do it for you.

A combination of sketches, design drawings/renderings, details, and photographs of built work are good. Show your work and thought process as they relate to actual physical buildings.

Jul 21, 15 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Taso

Re: gwharton

>the same way you would create marketing brochures for your firm

That's very inspiring to hear. I always think the portfolio should reflect myself at most, so that's a really good way to think about. Thanks for your advice!

Jul 21, 15 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: