Archinect
anchor

Laser Scanning

Veuxx

Looking to start a small laser scanning company that builds the existing conditions into Revit.

I was looking to purchase a Leica C5.

Any advice or tips on the best way to market to architects and general contractors?

Anyone have any previous experience doing anything similar?

Jul 15, 15 12:02 pm
chigurh

dunno, but I would hire somebody to do that....

looks like the transition from point cloud to actual BIM objects is painful as shit though, would you include that in your services?

Jul 15, 15 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Why a C5 and not something like a P20/40?

Jul 15, 15 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
Veuxx

The P40 is extremely expensive and difficult to afford when putting the business plan together to justify the added expense for the increase in quality in scans.

Yes, the business model would provide the scans and a BIM asbuilt architectural MEP building in Revit 2016 to begin a project.

Jul 15, 15 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

I'd worry about expertise and contractual obligations -- how do you verify the accuracy of your data, and how do you insure yourself against liability if your scans/ models aren't flawless? 

Jul 15, 15 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Might want to look here

https://www.laserscanningforum.com/forum/

Why leica?  What's the price point?  New or used? Does it include cyclone? Warranty? Calibration. In my experience, the cost of the scanner is only about 50-60% of the total cost once you include software and other hardware. 

The cost of the scanner is also a transactional cost and buying one does not make you a business. Are you a licensed surveyor? Will you be partnering with one when survey control is needed? Definitely competition in this field, but if you can find clients then go for it. How will you differentiate yourself?

Assuming you've already modeled in Revit from point clouds and have the workflow refined. 

It's the same business model as creating as built or measured drawings. Only the tools are different. There's a market for it, but you have to find it. 

Jul 16, 15 12:21 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

anonitect, everything you've said are the biggest risks.

You'd have to set down tolerance levels for every part of the model and stick by it. IMO the scanning industry is quite hard to break into as there are some seriously big companies out there that studios have relationships with and won't diverge from.

Plus the price point for the scan...a lot of studios just can't justify the cost of a pointcloud, I've seen it again and again. You may want to look at something like edgewise to speed up your modelling process.

Good luck OP.

Jul 16, 15 5:53 am  · 
 · 
mgordeeva250

Hi. Also have a question about why Leica? And why only laser scanners? There are actually many structured light scanners, for example this one. It's pretty good, btw. There are different scanners, Artec Space Spider, for instance. You should probably check it out.

Oct 19, 16 9:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: