Archinect
anchor

Portfolio-Always necessary when applying? (advice for foreign architect)

Penderton11

Hi, I am foreign architect in the process of relocating to the United States and I am beginning the process of applying to jobs with U.S. architecture firms.

My question is about the application process--I have noticed that many online application forms have a field where you can upload a portfolio, however this field is not required. Please let me know if you think it is necessary for me to submit a portfolio during the application process or if this is something I should only worry about submitting if I am selected to interview. Most of the portfolios I have seen online seem to only be for recent graduates, so I wasn't sure if it is necessary for experienced architects to submit a portfolio during the online application phase.

Thanks.

Jul 14, 15 5:46 pm
Good_Knight

Or I'd go with 46 and 2 if you are so inclined.

Jul 14, 15 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Penderton11

???

Jul 14, 15 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Penderton, 42 is always the answer to all questions.

Jul 14, 15 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
Aluminate

If there's a place to upload a portfolio, you should provide one.  They may not bother with considering you further if you don't - even if it's not stated as mandatory.   I have an abbreviated version of my portfolio for that purpose - usually I bring the more complete version to the interview - that way I have at least a little bit that they haven't already seen.  If they look at it....    Sometimes when you provide a portfolio online they won't have looked at it anyway before you interview - so you still should always bring a portfolio with you.  

Jul 14, 15 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Richard, you're ruining our fun.

Jul 14, 15 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

Portfolio? We ain’t got no portfolio! We don’t need no portfolio! I don’t have to show you any stinking portfolio!

Jul 14, 15 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Yes, at a bare minimum enough of a sampling to show that you have the skills necessary for that position.  It always helps to show that you have worked on similar project types and level of quality as the firm as well.

Jul 15, 15 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
Penderton11

Thank you aluminate and 3tk. And thank you even more so to the rest for the answer to this and all questions.

Jul 16, 15 10:52 am  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

You are very welcome.

:-)

Jul 16, 15 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: