Archinect
anchor

Question from a Non-Architect (Roof Type)

bward@solarcity.com

Naive question Forum,  What is the correct term for the roof type pictured here:

http://www.cydeinc.com/wp- content/uploads/2011/10/ commercial-roofing.jpg

Barrel Roof?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 13, 15 2:23 pm
Good_Knight

Oh quick, who is going to give away their knowledge and time for free first?!

Don't delay...act now...your full ego and empty bank account awaits.

Jul 13, 15 2:26 pm  · 
 · 

That's an interesting one, as I'm sure there must be some specific designation for specifically this shape of roof - barrel but with engaged shoulders - but I have no idea what it might be.

Jul 13, 15 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
bward@solarcity.com

Thanks Donna.   I appreciate the insight.   Good_Knight, I will send you a paypal so your ego and bank account can hedge towards equilibrium.  ;)

Thanks.

Jul 13, 15 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

;-)  Thanks for the laugh bward!

Jul 13, 15 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
proto

prolly bowstring truss

Jul 13, 15 5:03 pm  · 
 · 

barrel roof form.

We can categorized roofs by shape/form or by structural systems types.

I can not say with certainty about the roof structural type. 

The main form looks like a barrel roof form being the dominant roof form.

The form type is not a typical barrel roof. I think it would be a curved arched membrane roof of some kind but for some reason I don't think it is that, either.

I do not see it any anything I have so far in with that particular roof from which a name for that precise type of roof. It seems like there might not be a formal adopted term for that roof type. There might be some sort of academic research paper on it. Anyone who has access to such information, please enlighten us.

Jul 13, 15 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

bowstring truss would be a structural system used for such. Also you can get that roof form with lamella roof and other types of systems.

I can't speak for that without more photos depicting the roof system used.

Jul 13, 15 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

The form is called a hipped barrel roof.

A historic example: the Sumner School gymnasium in Oklahoma.

Jul 13, 15 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks. I was also querying for that but couldn't get a search result that had an example. 

Again... thanks. I was thinking that but couldn't be certain. The Sumner example is a perfect example with the right roof.

Jul 13, 15 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

Remember bward, with the exception of Donna, your question from a non-architect is being answered by non -architects.

Jul 13, 15 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

kjdt answered the question. Isn't kjdt an architect.

Jul 13, 15 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Awww, kjdt, you're killin' me, as I *almost* went with "engaged hips" but decided on "shoulders" instead. Nice work.

Jul 13, 15 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

The form is called a hippo barrel roof.

And now you know the derivation of the term.

Jul 13, 15 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
bward@solarcity.com

You are all terrific human beings for being so thorough.  This is what I was looking for.   I appreciate learning something new every day!

-Brian

Jul 13, 15 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Can't stop laughing, Miles!
Jul 13, 15 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Yes I'm an architect.

Unfortunately I haven't yet had a project that was quite right for a hippo barrel roof.  I can only dream that one day...

Jul 13, 15 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

though you didn't post a view of inside proto is almost certainly right: this looks like a roof supported by a bowstring truss with hipped ends. very common in warehouses, grocery stores and auto repair shops from the early 20th century. they're often made of wood or timber/steel composites on masonry walls and tend to be quite dangerous in fires because they collapse quickly. but taken care of they can be quite beautiful inside - a nice example.

Jul 13, 15 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

midlander,

I agree it can be a bow truss. It can be a curved glulam or it can be a lamella but I suspect lamella is highly rare. A simple 'barrel' curved top chord truss would likely be used but it isn't necessarily always the case.

Jul 13, 15 9:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: