Archinect
anchor

Should I add teaching portfolio in my job seeking portfolio?

trikkdaddy

What do you think? Since I finished MArch, it's been 70% teaching at universities+30% work (my own, freelancing, etc) for a few years.

I am looking to join a firm (medium to large size, preferably) leaving teaching for a bit now. Do you think I should include my teaching portfolio in my design portfolio to seek a job? Or do you think it might seem irrelevant and add unnecessary distraction? 

Would love your advice. Thank you. 

Jun 29, 15 12:28 pm
citizen

When I hear "teaching portfolio" I think examples of the faculty's pedagogical approach and assigments, then students's work samples, and then faculty's evaluations of the work.  Is that what you mean?

Jun 29, 15 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
trikkdaddy

Citizen, Yes, exactly: Some examples of student work, examples of my work that I used as a guide for teaching (sometimes), and short writing on the what, why and evaluation of my own teaching. My teaching portfolio is formatted in the same presentation layout as my design portfolio--lots of images and some writing. Do you think it's typical to add this kind of materials to job-seeking design portfolios? Or would that be distracting and confusing?

Jun 29, 15 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I think it's fine.  But the only way you should include this is as a kind of appendix, or clearly separate section of your portfolio.   That way it shows what else you've been up to (corresponding to your cv/resume), and clear that you consider this work important to your overall experience but not directly related for the jobs you're seeking.

Good luck!

Jun 29, 15 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
alphabits

I have one page of students' work in my portfolio, toward the end, titled "Examples of Student Work".  There are four images, one for each of the courses I've taught in the last year. I don't include any "whys" of my teaching, or any evaluation of my own teaching - I really doubt anybody will read those things if you do include them.  On my resume I include my teaching experience in a separate category from architecture experience, and list all the institutions and courses at each.  

Jun 30, 15 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: