Archinect
anchor

Weird Wednesday Question

x-jla

There are 300000000000000000000000000 (300 sextillion) stars in the observable universe. Assuming that intellegent life occurs on only 1 in a Billion planets, that still leaves trillions that probably have life forms...Somewhere out there other civilizations must exist.

Is architecture a requirement for a technological civilization?   Is architecture unique to humans?  I personally believe that it is probably likely that most technological civilizations would have developed some form of architecture...If so, do you think that there are any reoccuring themes?  Columns, pyramidal forms, etc...While climate and gravity would vary there still must be some Universal traits that evolve independently...I personally believe that architecture is an extension of biological evolution.  

Im hoping for a conversation that reveals something that gets to the fundamentals of architecture...

Jun 24, 15 1:37 pm
curtkram

in the infinite multi-verse, every possibility exists simultaneously.

Jun 24, 15 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

I tend to think architecture isn't unique to humans, but the bower bird is the best example I can give of that.

I like to think forms of life exist that aren't physical, at least not in the meaty way that we are, so they wouldn't have a need for physical shelter.  By this I don't mean ghosts, as in incorporeal, I mean life that is energy, not matter.

Jun 24, 15 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

science fiction was much better in the 70's, I grew watching Space:1999, and my dad had all the arthur c clarke books, my favorite story is Childhood's End, where giant devil-like creatures come down on earth to basically slap us in the face for being so stupid and in the end they are merely messengers of some higher beings which we never meet...and the RAMA series is also fantastic; an object as big as the moon enters the solar system carrying several life forms and humans of course go into it...    I truly hope if there is a technologically advanced civilization out there, we never ever make contact, we are still too bound by flesh in all aspects of our menial lives. 

Jun 24, 15 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

@ Donna

I think there's two searches. One is that search for a higher being and all the belated matters so another life form in terms of energy and not matter fits in with this. It's a post-life sort of thing that requires more faith and belief than anything we can try to find empirically. Not putting it down but how would you prove a radio wave from afar is more than a radio wave? Definitely fun but you won't get NASA to admit they are spending money to send probes to gauge good vibrations.

Then there's searching for life in ways we tend to assume life can exist: composed of matter. Since there aren't too many blue marble planets like ours with liquid water, life out there is probably not going to parade around on the surface. Their architecture would be more hermetic, if that makes sense. More attuned to severe pressures or deadly atmospheres or a lack of; they could live in the core or deep beneath surface, or shield themselves from cosmic dangers so well and thus make it impossible for us to detect their presence. Maybe to us their "home" is a floating metallic sealed bubble in our language. Is that still architecture then or an object? Would we even recognize something else? Guess our biased projections aren't all that helpful.

Drake's Equation. Maybe we're knocked on a few doors already. Either they're pissed off and refusing to answer or coming to kick our asses.

Jun 24, 15 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

There are also manatees.

Jun 24, 15 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

Good luck fitting that butt into a one-piece space suit. 

Jun 24, 15 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

kickrocks, much like life in other environments will be adapted to those environments and not to our water-based one, manatee spacesuits will be adapted to manatee butts.

Jun 24, 15 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

Question is, does the necessary diameter of such an opening for large behinds allow those small flippers to lock the helmet? Or in the case of a two-piece, can the arms extend far enough to fix astronaut crack?

No different than the dinosaur industry pimping out those tall fit raptors instead of the plus-sized T-Rex freak with short arms.

Jun 24, 15 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

What about the architecture of the universe itself?

Jun 24, 15 6:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: