Archinect
anchor

What was the last drop? - Going off on your own.

throwaway

I'm posting this on a throwaway account. I post quite a bit here, but I'm concerned with having my identity revealed.

So these questions are for anyone who ever left his or her job and started up on his or her own.

So here's my volley of questions:

What was the last drop? The one thing you were unsatisfied with and which you set out to fix when you started your own practice?

How did you quit your then-current job? Did you burn any bridges? How did you go about salvaging relationships?

Did it work? Were you happier?

I am becoming extremely frustrated with my employment, and I've got a e-rolodex that rivals that of most of my peers. I've been moolighting here and there (and saving all the money I've made from that), but I've always felt like I hold myself back on account of being under someone else's umbrella... I avoid introducing myself at times just to avoid creating "drama" (unlikely that I'd get fired) with my current employer should they find my personal business card or should there be any common contacts.

Jun 23, 15 9:35 pm
kickrocks

Damn, now I'm only wondering who you are.

Jun 23, 15 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Last drop was when I figured out I was working 60 hours a week to pretty much feed the top tier (management) of the firm.

Quit straight up, they were pissed but eventually came around (they always do, if you have been an asset to the firm)

Much happier, much more satisfied. Good work and good money.

Disclaimer : I am back in a corporate gig now, as I had significant difficulty bringing in more work, even with my fat rolodex. Decided the extra stress wasnt worth it. But it was fun till it lasted.

Jun 23, 15 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

Last straw?

Good to the last drop.

Jun 23, 15 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

This is a classic secure yet unsatisfied lifestyle to risky own business type of transition. Sounds like you are about ready to go because anymore of the current situation is going to suck the life out of you.

You shouldn't burn bridges for obvious reasons. Why do so when it can be avoided? They might not like the decision but who knows when you might need to reach out to them or someone they know again for whatever reason. Also good practice for the future knowing when to refuse or call it quits but not necessarily ruin any future opportunities that may arise. In sameolddoctor's case, yeah, straight up quitting is going to piss off a lot of people in any profession. But I bet if you did it like most resignations, you'll get some support and leave on neutral grounds. 

Having them harbor some kind of resentful closing memory isn't going to make things easier. Word travels fast. Just avoid the unnecessary melodrama and leave with face regardless of what they display.

Jun 23, 15 10:53 pm  · 
 · 

My two cents:

I wouldn't recommend starting your own practice (full-time) simply to get out of a bad employment situation. I know it's not really the question you asked, but from my experience starting a sustainable practice should be a business decision, not an emotional one. 

I ventured out on my own (full-time) for about a year and learned some very valuable lessons the hard way. Running a small practice is a lot more difficult to sustain that I expected. Once the initial wave of work passed I realized how difficult it was to find new clients, and how overly optimistic I had been about my prospects. 

I had a significant amount for side-work for a few years before going out on my own, and I genuinely thought that would be enough to sustain a small practice. Things change dramatically when those side projects become the only means to pay your rent and student loans. Things get real very fast. I was not happier, more stressed, and after struggling with it for a while I realized that I just needed to learn more about myself before I could be happy in any work environment. 

As my larger projects were wrapping up, I joined a pretty great firm full-time and kept my practice on the side. If I ever decide to venture out on my own again I won't do it until I've gotten many more years of experience under my belt, some really good (repeat) clients, more realistic expectations about what to expect, and supplementary income of some sort to balance out the lean months.

That being said, I am very happy I took the leap; not because it worked all that well, but because I learned a lot about myself in the process. 

Good luck on your journey! 

Jun 24, 15 9:18 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

I agree with Lee. Starting a business because you are dissatisfied with your current employer is not a good reason to start a business.  

I started my business because a client approached me with a large contract that would sustain the business over a three year period. That's pretty much it. You need to make sure you have the funds/contracts to go off on your own before you start.

There is a big difference between having a lot of contacts and convincing those contacts to give you work, i.e. money. Place yourself in the position of your potential clients and ask yourself realistically if you were them would you hire you. There are reasons that clients hire firms that go beyond the professional relationship you may have with those clients as an employee.

In terms of leaving your current employer, make sure you do not have a non-compete clause in your employment contract. That could seriously screw you over if you do go out on your own. 

Jun 24, 15 10:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: