Archinect
anchor

marketing

mj100

I recently became licensed in my state (Florida). I work for a small architectural firm, but would like to acquire some side work. I didn't have the time to pursue additional work before. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can network my services? (My boss doesn't care if anyone does side work as long as it doesn't interfere with his office).

Thanks!

Jun 22, 15 9:04 pm
JeromeS

http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/the-architect-is-in-5-cents-per-consultation.html

If you have Architectural Record you might be ablet to read the full interview...

Jun 22, 15 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Define - "....as long as it doesn't interfere..." Would losing his house be "interfering"?

Jun 22, 15 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

happen to you carrera?

everybody moonlights till they can make it on their own...

Jun 22, 15 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Chig, I did houses starting out, but after you "make it" you learn....

Jun 22, 15 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
mj100

"as long as it doesn't interfere" meaning "as long as I don't do it on company time."

Jun 22, 15 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^Depending on what you have planned, you have a brave boss.

Jun 22, 15 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
mj100

I'm not sure...I know I need to do some side work to bring in more income at home. I haven't had a raise in a long time....

Jun 22, 15 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^ Not faulting you, you need to do what you need to do, just a tough call for a firm.

Jun 22, 15 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
mj100

My boss is very understanding because he did side work when he first became licensed. Since then, he has become a partner and his needs have changed. I would have my own liability insurance and nothing I do would be tied to my employer. I just want to know, since advertising in architecture is frowned on, how do we drum up business?

Jun 23, 15 12:03 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Can’t believe he’ll go for dueling firms, with you openly “marketing”, would think that networking and word-of-mouth would be more appropriate, also can’t believe you’ll be able to get insurance….but then again I still can’t believe women got the right to vote:)

Jun 23, 15 1:11 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

mj100 - here's a different thought ... why don't you talk to your boss again and discuss how you might be able to help him bring in more work to the firm. It might be easier - and more lucrative - to work towards an enhanced role (i.e. potential partnership) in your current firm than splitting your time between two separate work activities. And, if your boss is as understanding as you say, then he would be well positioned to mentor you in this new role - which would be better than trying to figure it out all on your own.

Jun 23, 15 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

+++Quizz

Jun 23, 15 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
mj100

Maybe I misrepresented myself...I just want to gain some side work (not compete with my employer).

Jun 23, 15 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

+1 on quizzical

most work is from past clients (maybe they have work that's not worth your firm to work on but you could take?).

Jun 23, 15 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

The dude asked about marketing ideas.  I was interested in what ideas you titans of industry have. 

Now I know...  I also know you don't know dick about liability either...

Jun 23, 15 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
mj100

The 'dude' is a lady, Jerome...

Jun 23, 15 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

ok - I wont touch the liability issues abounding here, and I'll keep my other comments to myself - here are a few quickie networking/marketing thoughts, but I'm assuming you've thought of most of these already:

1) You've networked your whole career - maybe you just don't realize it?  reach out to your architect friends and let them know you are looking for small side projects and be ready to help with ANYTHING that makes sense, no matter how simple - word of mouth spreads fast.

2) Same with your contractor contacts and engineering consultants, assuming you trust them to respect your boundaries between office and side work.

3) reach out to the local homebuilder contractor group,  if your town has one - lots of small remodels out there looking for assistance and not knowing how to find an inexpensive small practitioner.

4) Does your area have a Rotary or other Business Council or some type of business group that share networking events etc - might be time to consider joining to put your name out there - these tend to be the banker/insurance types who know everyone!.

5) Friends - if you are comfortable, let them all know you are trying to build a small side practice and open for helping in "whatever" design might be needed - but be careful working for friends and friends of friends !!  I learned this the hard way like most people

6) Past classmates - the ones working in architecture might have projects too small for themselves/their firms and willing to share - and the ones doing other things can open you up to a whole other range of contacts.

7) Charities and other non-profits - sometimes an offer of a small amount of freebie work can lead to substantial projects - I've been a part of this - just decide how much you can offer and limit yourself accordingly - and the contacts made in most non-profit boards can be gold

8)  Your local AIA - don't laugh - let the admins there know you are looking for referrals - an amazing amount of folks call the AIA and ask for names because they don't know how to find design help - once again, the work might be all over the board

9)  Take a small ad out in a local/free weekly paper if your area has one - very cheap investment - or better yet, don't spend the money but offer the editors a free article on "remodeling" or another residential/light commercial design topic and make sure you and your email address are included in the article - free advertising - this is more a small town than big city approach

10) Realtors - if you have a realtor friend this becomes easier but let the local real estate community know you are looking for small jobs - they get called ALL THE TIME by their clients looking for design help - once again, can be weird range of projects but ...

so there you go, a bunch of quick/dirty ideas that may or may not work for you - all involve work and effort on your part - but that's why marketing/networking isnt for everyone - just my two cents - good luck

Jun 23, 15 11:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: