Archinect
anchor

Is it possible to find a career in architcture firms without architecture degree?

SevenUp

Hello,

I'm a recent graduate from Communications, and Interactive Arts & Technology (joint major, BA) from a well-known school in Canada. I also got a 3-year study in Business Administration. I've been working as a freelance interface and graphic designer for almost half a year after the graduation.

I've been always got a passion in interior design, furniture design, and architectural design, and I think my inter-disciplinary education background in business, media studies and design put me at an advantage to pursue a career in architecture.

Therefore,  I'm wondering if it is still possible to get a foot into the door without an education background in architecture or spatial planning or urban planning? Even if I get a job position in a certain architectural firm as a drafter, or production coordinator, or designer and architectural researcher, do you think he lack of degree or education in architecture would greatly undermine my career development?

BTW, I have intermediate level design skills in adobe suites, and basic skills in 3D StudioMAX, AutoCAD & SketchUp.

I would be appreciate it if someone would give my some advices. THANKS.

Jun 15, 15 7:18 pm
rationalist

Have you ever designed a single piece of architecture? Interiors? Anything built? 
I'm not asking to be a dick, but to get you to think about the difference between design and architecture. There are other things you could design, some of which are also needed in architecture firms. Try finding one that has a branding/graphics studio in house—that way you've gotten into the industry, but are still doing work within your own wheelhouse. 

Jun 15, 15 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Not to bust your bubble here, but yes... you lack an understanding of what we do and how much you can contribute to an office, unless that office is in the business of loosing money and making mediocre projects. For fuck's sake... almost half a year experience? Better just apply for partner at Foster's.

I've met quite a few ambitious but naive students, especially in Toronto where OCAD and other similar "exclusive" design schools attempt to teach architecture. Not that you can't learn, but to be useful in an architecture practice, you need more than novice graphic skills. You need to understand building systems and programming as a minimum starting on day one.

Your inter-disp training puts you an ideal candidate for the 3-year M.arch. Something to think about if you're serious about making the jump into professional practice.

Jun 15, 15 8:20 pm  · 
 · 

SevenUp,

Simple answer is yes. However, it isn't like they are going to hire you into roles and positions directly involving architectural projects. Those positions are deliberately and intentionally reserved for those with architecture education and closely related education involving architecture, interior design, CAD technician-drafter, engineering, construction and project management. For IDP positions, most firms reserve those positions ONLY to those who have completed or in their last two years of a 5-year B.Arch or last year of a 3-yr. Masters. This is because many firms are still throwback to times when people can ONLY be enrolled in IDP at that point in time. Some firms/architects will allow someone directly enrolled in IDP without an architecture education but a majority of them will have prior experience and likely an Associates degree in architectural drafting/technologist or CAD degree and likely some building design experience. However, those roles are more CAD technician-drafter work. If you're familiar with Revit or Archicad or other BIM software then that is becoming a progressive replacement to older CAD technician-drafter positions based on Autocad knowledge. 

Bottom line: Architectural firms do not have a lot of money to lose on you.

Some firms seek people in roles like marketing graphics designer type of roles so your knowledge there maybe acceptable. 

I have a greater chance of being hired in the positions you are seeking by indication but I think those positions would not be something they would have you doing. Most firms just don't have the human resource and financial resource to do personalized training. You need to take courses and practice on your own personal time.... do some design competition involving designing buildings, make physical and virtual models, possibly do some part time construction work experience and eventually you may be part of a design team on architectural work based solely on what you have indicated in the original post.

You need to do this extra training, self-directed or in-class and then show the results of it and in time as you show and demonstrate a grasp of architecture and how to think 'architecturally' about architectural design problems.

Even in residential design involving exempt buildings, you are going to need to know how to do this stuff competently. Would a client for a custom home entrust you to a project of theirs? Yes or no? If not, how can you expect an architectural firm to entrust a multi-million dollar project where they are getting 6 to 7 digit figures commission to you?

It isn't going to happen. Therefore, they pay people who already done the education and/or experience based training to get at least the basic knowledge and skills they need for the tasks assigned. Employment is not a training center or school where you have teachers teaching you. The only teacher is learning from your own mistakes your own self-drive to learn what you need to learn to gain competence in the subject matter. Employers assigns tasks. They don't TEACH you how to do the tasks and then assign tasks to you. Not when they are paying for it. You're an adult and your learning and getting yourself taught on the subject matter is your responsibility and your responsibility alone and you pay for the teachers to teach you if you are going to have someone teach you or you dive into the books and other resources available and browse the syllabus of the many classes that have this info online that will teach. Some books lends themselves for instruction and self-directed learning. 

This means, you aren't going to be looking at Architectural magazines as much as looking at some real books or PDF of real books. 

Then you will have to practice exercises from those books used in college courses that are for teaching those subject matters for college credit. Ultimately, having the knowledge and skills is more important than necessarily the degree aside from licensing laws. If you want an architectural license at some point, you may need to undergo a M.Arch that is 3+ years long and that program would be an NAAB accredited Masters of Architecture. 

The question for you is why would you want to design buildings / practice architecture?

Jun 15, 15 8:32 pm  · 
 · 

As Non Sequitur,

Programming in the Architectural sense of the term NOT the computer science / computer tech sense of the term.

Non Sequitur, explain the term for the OP if necessary.  

Jun 15, 15 8:34 pm  · 
 · 

SevenUp,

You said you have intermediate level design skills in Autocad and SketchUp. Okay. Lets us see some examples. Let us be the judge of that because intermediate is a qualitative term but what you think is intermediate maybe merely introductory/basic level.

Others, bear in mind, most of you come out of basically a glorified art school with nothing but academic projects and many of you never had a project designed and built at the time you got your first job in architecture (beginning your IDP, eh?) so we shouldn't quite expect that because most architecture school programs never have student projects built unless you are talking about a chicken coup or a dog house. That is due to liability that many universities/arch schools are going to have. 

Aside from that.... lets give SevenUp a hypothetical project and the applied building codes will be the current edition of the ICC building codes. The zoning requirements and lot location would be determined based on availability of the information and it should be an exempt building (not requiring an architect/engineer stamp.) Just a suggestion on that end.

Someone be the role of client/developer-client. This is role-play but a learning experience that can be helpful to understand how to 'design-think' about architectural design problems and ability to research information.

All sheets should be at appropriate scale and in PDF format and appropriate graphical scale is present as well as appropriate architectural scale written out if the sheets were printed on the intended sheet size. If sheets are 24"x36" then it should be able to be reasonably and properly dimensioned from.

In addition, knowing proper architectural styles and context of site will be important.

SevenUp, are you ready to tackle on such?

Jun 15, 15 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Maybe not, but you should.

Personally, I'd rather see less academic requirement and more internship experience. It would benefit both employers and students. I tend to think 4 or 5 years of studio for a blarch or barch is excessive. I could see two years plus three years or 4 years intensive experience. 

Jun 16, 15 12:18 am  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

If you really want to work in an architecture firm or urban planning then you will have better chances with an masters. If you want work in architecture the I would suggest to get a 3 year MArch, if you want to be an urban planner, then get a 2 year Masters in Urban and Regional Planning. It is possible to get into a firm with no architecture education however, you would be doing really basic level work and low pay. Also, there is a lot of competition in architecture and realistically, an architecture student would get the job before you. Besides, if you want to be licensed as an architect then you need that professional degree anyway. If you can get a job in a firm now, get some experience and if you like it, then get a MArch later and then pursue your license, then that is even better. If you do that I suggest you sign up for NCARB and start earning your IDP credit hours for your license. However, depending on where you live and the economy at that state, you may not get a job at a firm and it may be better to pursue your masters first. Good luck and hope you find the career path you want.

Jun 16, 15 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

It's possible. I would apply to large corporate firms looking for staff to help with CA. You would basically log and organize submittals, occasionally create some sketches, pitch in where you can. This will give you a feel for profession and if you're still interested you could go to grad school. I actually know a few registered architects who do not have degrees in architecture and work at well known firms. Good luck. 

Jun 16, 15 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
tomorrowcomes

I have Master's in Architecture and Master's in Planning. Just got replaced by a technician who just finished 2 year diploma from tech school, last week, in major city of Canada. The firm owner will meet with me this Friday, for an hour to further explain what happened, and how I should move forward from here. So far I have been hearing from everyone in the office except hr lady that technicians know it all and can be put to use right off the bat, whereas architects know nothing and be weak for the rest of their life. So, it is very possible to work in an architectural setting without going to Arch school. if pumping out identical residential buildings is all you wanted to do.

Anybody has a piece of advice for me?

Jun 17, 15 7:03 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Tomorrowcomes, is it possible the position you held was a technologist and not intern architect? I see tons of fresh community college types coming out every year and they sell their BIM & CAD "skills" to senior partners like they are the second coming of Sir Sean Connery. In truth, hardly any can detail anything more than a wood-frame suburban home, but sometimes an office manager will see group CAD/BIM projects and think : stop the presses Batman, we've got ourselves a winner here.

Truth is, if you're working in a production heavy office, the turn over of intern architects for techs will be a reality. They are cheaper and can readily copy existing office designs and construction details. On the other side, the M.Arch grad often expects that, given their "superior" design education (which is not that superior, or even difficult) should receive grad design challenges daily.

My advice: find an office that values a mix of production and design. A place with staff who started out as interns but moved up to licensed architect while following a few key projects.

Which city are you working in?

Jun 17, 15 8:23 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

The construction admin (CA) thing is interesting Sean!... You could, without a license, get various certifications like certified building inspector, commissioning agent, licensed contractor, etc.  That could get your foot in as well as establish credentials to be involved in the design process from a technical 'keep us out of court' perspective....  Seriously, my sister who's a licensed architect got her inspector license too; it took 2 weeks total.  I got a flier for commissioning agent; one class and a test.  Those things are as valid as a master's degree unfortunately.

That'd get you in middle/upper management very rapidly and out of the cad monkey, print running, model making positions.

Jun 17, 15 10:16 am  · 
 · 
tomorrowcomes

Will keep the building inspector and CA in mind!

Non Sequitur, I'm in Vancouver. The position was meant for an intern architect and I wasn't interested in BIM manager type of roles.I also admitted to technicians that I don't know much from the beginning. What happened was that though there wasn't really need or design in the office, senior management would like to have someone young with credential, and I would like to get some technical experience through the process. But then people who's been working there for a long time didn't like the change, I guess? That makes me wonder if I should go get a technician diploma on the side. Not sure what I could be doing with the two master's degrees now. I have great work ethics, and keen on learning too (why I got degrees easily) but feels like the education is stopping me from being perceived as a grounded person now?

Jun 17, 15 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Tomorrowcomes, collecting master's degrees can be taken negatively in the work place... what I mean is that it's very easy for an individual to delay entering the world by staying in school and school is not the same as working in an office.

The problem, and you're not the only one here, is that you were expecting to perform design heavy-tasks, not construction detail production. The reality here is that grand-design ideas don't put buildings together; moreover, those who produce such ideas are not fresh graduate students, they have years of experience to guide their design decisions. Hence the difference between academia and practice.

The office might have wanted to introduce younger faces to change the culture, but unless, and separate from design, you can take an active role in the detailing and documentation of projects, how are you a better team member than the kid who knows how far away to detail a slab edge from the back face of mullions?

Jun 17, 15 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
tomorrowcomes

non Sequitur, I fancy knowing how far away to detail a slab edge from the back face of mullions too. That skill is enabling. Well I took the M. Arch as a productive way to ride out the recession as an urban designer, so that I don't get frustrated during the years when the real world was impossible and can make a living when everything's over...How should I introduce myself for a next time then? 

Jun 18, 15 6:50 am  · 
 · 
Arch_in_mind

Your post intrigued me. I would advise you to not tell people what you don't know but rather show them what you do know.

Apr 21, 20 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
tomorrowcomes

And SevenUp, back to the topic, I feel degree won't get you into an office but some useful skills will. Maybe your graphic skills and design sense plus some knowledge in building technology will just make the cut. 

Jun 18, 15 7:01 am  · 
 · 
Zulqar

you have a much better chance of success working for renowned office furniture producers or dealers or workplace interior design-builders who need your business skill and interest in design. 

even better- open your own workplace interior design-build firm, hire architects, designers and installers on project basis and have fun! 

Apr 22, 20 2:24 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

I think leaders in this profession are either exceptional designers or great sales people. The former category includes specialized folks like computational experts and consultants. The latter tend to own the firm - they spend most of their time working on clients and new business. Everyone else aspires mostly to become project managers. All three require some kind of design training. One without an accreditated degree could find oneself as a great 'designer' if you are one of a kind on a world-class level like Heatherwick - which means you've made your brand as a designer in another field and are branching into architecture with the help of trained professionals working at your studio. 

There are several business development/marketing roles at commercial practices that might suit your interests - these professionals are heavily involved in branding the firm and handling RFPs but do not get stuck in the technical aspects of architectural work. They are good writers and savvy communicators who understand design without having to actually design buildings.

Apr 22, 20 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Zulqar

monosierra, i liked the way you grouped architects into three categories.

Apr 22, 20 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
Zulqar

but wait, there is also the 4th bucket and probably the largest of all is- the drafters, who never make it to be a part of the three. most architecture students with big dreams end up in this bucket... or learn something totally new to fill the 5th bucket.

Apr 22, 20 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

That is very true and I shudder to mention that category.

Apr 22, 20 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
Zulqar

I agree it's a tough subject to bring up.

Apr 22, 20 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

We're in the bizarre situation of a cultural professional. That is, the ability to truly succeed is still primarily subjective - beyond core competencies expected of any architect, it is style that really distinguishes the biggest names from the rest. You wouldn't find this in other professions that require accreditation and huge amounts of schooling - lawyers, doctors, accountants etc. And you are not legally required to have educational credits for other cultural professions, be it art, film-making, fiction writing. It certainly helps but its not required. A brand-name architect adds value to a project but an excellent one can at best minimize costs. Has any architect successfully increased the value of a project - branding aside? That's really the developer and marketer's forte - to devise of a project and execute its financing, construction, sales - and perhaps the engineering professions if they come up with new materials or methods of construction.

Apr 22, 20 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
Zulqar

"A brand-name architect adds value to a project but an excellent one can at best minimize costs." 

not always true. A brand name architect can also design a dysfunctional unsustainable sculpture and an excellent one can do a functional and sustainable beautiful building.

an interesting topic for a new thread...

Apr 22, 20 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

https://www.ncarb.org/get-licensed/licensing-requirements-tool

Go here and click on the various states. It will tell you which ones will allow you to take the test based on experience only. Figure ten years, but compare ten paid years working with going to graduate school, incurring student debt, not working for three years, and graduate into a low-paying job which requires years of internship anyway. 

Apr 22, 20 8:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: