Archinect
anchor

engineering geology or geotechnical engineering

yuzlan

Describe what factors you will have to consider before going to your proposed site as part
of a desk study; from this list, what are the major factors of concern?please help me..what does it mean?by the way,,i'm first year student of civil engineering in my local university..

May 27, 15 10:32 am
midlander

not sure I understand your question, but it sounds like you're asking what architects look for on the site when they first start.

In fact in America architects don't analyze the soils / subgrade conditions. The owner hires a seperate geotechnical engineer to test the site and determine the recommended load allowances and any considerations for settlement, etc. The architect just reviews the report and probably passes it on to the structural engineer to begin the foundation design.

In my experience when an architect visits the site, we look start with general observations:
- what are the surrounding conditions?
- what is the general terrain like? Is there a steep slope, or obviously unstable ground to avoid?
- what are traffic / roads like?
- are there any special features to preserve like large trees or interesting landscape features
- what are the surrounding buildings like? Are there especially good or bad views to consider?

It really depends a lot on the nature of the project, the scale of the site, the scope of the design work (masterplan, new concept, renovation) and the location. I've worked on some projects that start with a site visit followed by a tour of the city to understand more about the local context and culture. Other projects - we finish a couple quick concept studies based on whatever site survey the client sends and images from google maps. It's different every time.

May 27, 15 11:30 am  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

"The client pays for it anyway" is a poor attempt at summarizing liability between client, prime, and various subs. It's also inadvertently an apt assessment of what happens when a client enlists the help of unlicensed professionals to do a professional job. Visually inspecting a busted retaining wall does nothing as you can't verify cause without more information. The client hiring its own geotech saves money, reduces liability, and headaches.

"We may leave the land surveying to the client..." - What?! 

Jan 2, 20 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Ricky, you're the reason why our insurance provider specifically forbids us from undertaking site/geotech services. Even a casual observation & deduction like yours will get us into serious legal trouble and without our insurance as back-up. We are also strictly forbidden from carrying geotech as sub consultants.

Jan 2, 20 4:58 pm  · 
 · 

Rick, if you're serious about passing the ARE as you've indicated you want to do ... you'll need to know that the Owner hires the geotechnical engineer (see AIA B101-2017 Sections 1.1.9 and 5.5). Yes, the architect could hire them, but that would be really dumb.

Jan 2, 20 5:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: