Archinect
anchor

architecture thesis

arvindgopal

hello everyone...

the topic i have chosen for my final year thesis programme is a self sustained complex for patients suffering from dementia(esp alzheimers).

It has been approved by the professors .they feel it is an interesting subject to work on.

but they told me they dont know much about this disease and the architectural treatments.But i am certain on sticking to this topic.

-a gated complex housing 100-150 patients suffering from various types of dementia with the required facilities(rooms/cottages,supermarkets,salon,gathering spaces i.e gardens,parks..,dining areas,leisure spaces,residential facilities for caregivers,training facilities and administration blocks and spaces pertaining to various therapies i.e dog therapy,pool therapy etc)

-the motive behind opting for this topic is to establish a strong relation between dementia and architecture..i.e architecture governed by the 5 senses even when they are deteriorating due to dementia.and improve their mobility and way finding thus making them  less dependent on the caregivers in the initial stages and reducing stress,agitation,aggression,confusion,wandering and other problems that can be solved by various architectural features.

-i have contacted neurologists and dementia care homes and taken appointments to gather detailed info pertaining to this topic.

any ideas on how i can link architecture and dementia on a micro as well as macro level?

any books for reference?

May 23, 15 2:51 pm
x-jla

dementia and architecture ha, that should be easy.  

May 23, 15 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

Why don't you try to do something before asking for help? 

May 23, 15 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
-------

I'd look at books that cover environmental psychology for design. Wayfinding will also be important.

May 23, 15 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
arvindgopal

ofcourse i am trying..i have started the research and analysis part....just looking for some guidance which my professors cannot offer...thanks anyways :) as of now im looking at ways of studying their behaviour patterns....and then i can come up with solutions..

May 24, 15 2:37 am  · 
 · 
tamranthor

Memory care is a complex topic, but the number one issue is security and safety. Everything has to be monitored, locked and fail-safed. You cannot lose a patient, even for a minute, because many of them will not know basic self-preservation and some of them would prefer to be allowed to commit suicide.

There is a whole community of architects who do this work--look them up online and give them a call.

Jun 1, 15 3:32 am  · 
 · 
arvindgopal

okay ..sure...thanks a ton..:)

Jun 1, 15 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: