Archinect
anchor

Need help drawing a cantilever detail!

JollyJed

Hey guys!

I have drawn up a building where the first floor overhangs the ground floor by 1 meter on each of its sides.. my project asks me to draw the detail where the ground floor ceiling and first floor bottom meet but i have no idea how i draw a cantilever? Could anyone give me an idea of what this detail should look like?

Many thanks!

May 11, 15 1:16 pm
BulgarBlogger

this is probably a 2-way flat slab supported by columns or bearing walls... I am guessing you have to draw the lapping of the tensile steel of the slab with the tensile steel of the column. You also have to draw the stirrups densely spaced near the intersection of the slab and column/bearing wall. The stirrups are used to resist shear at the intersection... Also, you ned to decide if you want to use a spiral column or a regularly-tied column. Depending on what you are going for, you can also "design" the column shape since its made out of concrete. Usually, these details are drawn by a structural engineer, but perhaps you need to draw it to learn how about these components. 

May 11, 15 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

isn't that the point of school?

May 11, 15 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

Could be steel or wood framed, but a double cantilever (think about the corners) are complex no matter what. The main span just cantilevers, but the side spans need to switch direction and back span. The corners either are a double cantilever or a diagonal member kinda like a hip rafter. 

Actually, when I see modern homes with double cantilevered corners I always salivate - wish my clients would go for something like that - but I'd be hiring a strux engineer for anything that complex. 

May 11, 15 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

Good clients are the great.

May 11, 15 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: