Archinect
anchor

Cities Cleave, and get mentions in Architect Magazine

Yes, I am tooting my own horn. Architect quoted me and discusses my upcoming talk at the 2015 AIA National Convention.

http://www.architectmagazine.com/aia-architect/aiadesign/cities-cleave_o

I have to credit a long ago thread here on Archinect for the "cleave" reference. betadinesutures, or possibly another long-ago poster named simply suture, noted that suture and cleave can mean two opposite things simultaneously.  I ran with the analogy of cleave being what architects are: engineers and artists, scientists and dreamers, poets and pragmatists (Will Bruder used those terms in a lecture I saw in 1995), passion-filled practitioners who destroy something to make something.

If you're at the AIA National Convention please do come to my talk or at least come and say hi if you see me around the halls (or likely at a bar), I'm very approachable!

May 5, 15 8:53 am
b3tadine[sutures]

Oh, wait, this is a thread, and it still has nothing to do with Quondam.

spoke to soon:

Jun 14, 05 2:24 pm

King Ludwig II of Bavaria died yesterday 119 years ago. Royal architecture was his legacy. 

My (quondam) laptop was 'abducted' late 11 June (like Ludwig was abducted 11 June 1886 at Neuschwanstein). Then the laptop finally died yesterday.

Ludwig died in Starnberger See with the psychiatrist von Gudden. Ludwig was trying to kill von Gudden, so von Gudden was then trying to kill Ludwig. They eventually killed each other. So novel, no?

although, it hardly counts, it was one post.

May 5, 15 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm

I scored a 4.
May 5, 15 3:51 pm  · 
 · 

<sigh>

May 5, 15 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

b3tadine[sutures], I scored a 24. I win!

May 5, 15 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, fineprint, it's coincidence.

May 5, 15 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What's going on in here?

May 5, 15 4:46 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not answering your questions anymore, Quondam. 

May 5, 15 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
BR.TN

^stfu Mediocre White Bro

May 5, 15 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
http://psychcentral.com/disorders/narcissistic-personality-disorder-symptoms/

Narcissistic Personality Disorder is characterized by a long-standing pattern of grandiosity (either in fantasy or actual behavior), an overwhelming need for admiration, and usually a complete lack of empathy toward others. People with this disorder often believe they are of primary importance in everybody’s life or to anyone they meet. While this pattern of behavior may be appropriate for a king in 16th Century England, it is generally considered inappropriate for most ordinary people today.
May 5, 15 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

what if there wasn't one?  does it matter?

May 5, 15 7:23 pm  · 
 · 

It's not a falsehood Quondam. I know when I started thinking about the word cleave in relation to the dual nature of architecture practice. Your desire to find a thread from 12-15 years ago isn't of interest to me, and I don't have any need to go looking for it. I had a thought process generated by a discussion thread on Archinect. I don't record my every thought process on the internet, personally, though the internet is apparently a great tool for doing that. 

My point is: I'm giving a talk at the AIA National Convention, and I was quoted in Architect Magazine for the talk, and both those circumstances rose out of the non-profit work I do in my city using my architecture experience and knowledge, and the non-profit work I do can also be traced back to my participation on Archinect.

I'm proud of the work I do, and I'm proud of Archinect for providing a community where architecture can be discussed among people who both practice it and just enjoy talking about it.

May 5, 15 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.  "likely" is a strong word.

it's possible the "analogy" came from the memory of a thread rather than going back to look up the thread itself.

May 5, 15 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Way to go, Donna!

May 5, 15 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

I'm done talking with you, Steven.

May 5, 15 9:54 pm  · 
 · 

Congratulations Donna. It sounds like a good talk. I hope it goes over well.

Its very cool that you are putting yourself out there. More architects should do exactly what you are doing. There is so much more to do than blagging on the nect.

May 6, 15 7:03 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Donna, I want your life. Respected, surrounded by intelegent discussions, envolved in the art world, happy.... I could go on.

How do I get there?
May 6, 15 8:11 am  · 
 · 

Sarah, as my friend and professor Wes Janz said, "Do interesting things." Seriously, in ProPractice I tried to figure out how to teach networking; I don't think you really can teach it, I think it happens as you get involved in things - the network connections are the outcome of doing things that are not intended to be networking.

The flip side is I haven't designed many buildings, as I've put pursuing the opportunities to  talk and think about architecture above pursuing the opportunities to do projects. So I put more time into planning my first Pecha Kucha talk than I did into a house renovation proposal that was due at around the same time.  Lately I've been talking to a lot of people (writers, editors, researchers) who decided very early on that traditional practice (i.e., designing buildings) wasn't their desired role in architecture but they still wanted to be involved in  the discipline. I didn't make that distinction until much later in my career, personally. So I have a lot of catching up to do!

May 6, 15 8:31 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Congrats Donna!   For me, networking is the most difficult thing... 

May 6, 15 11:44 am  · 
 · 

Donna, I read the Architect article. We as architects are more empowered for pushing the agendas you are talking about. Your participation in this process counts.

My students in architecture school come from the underprivileged communities of the inner city and I spend time with them encouraging engagement with their built environment, the city. Soon, they will be the ones impacting their communities. Perhaps this is a drop in the bucket but I am determined to continue.

I am all for when the architects and the urbanists carry social responsibilities on their shoulders pushing for new ideas on capital steps and on the streets of American cities, for the built environment and social equity. The architecture as a discipline cannot remain silent and indifferent to corporate policies only benefiting a few. The architects can voice the pro-public agenda on all fronts. I am happy to hear and know you have that thinking in your periphery. Thank you for committing yourself to this kind of action. 

Many things have changed since I infamously reported from the AIA Los Angeles National Convention in 2006. There is more awareness of the political, environmental, economic and physical issues concerning our cities. The participation by the pro-public architects might very well be the legacy of this convention in which you are going to be speaking. 

Your critical voice on this platform is necessary and important.

May 6, 15 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Thank you Orhan. The tide is turning, seriously. A good portion, even a majority, of the people running for national AIA offices this year are stating openly that our discipline is changing and we need to lead that change rather than bemoan it. "Non-traditional" practice is being welcomed- the second keynote speaker at AIA Grassroots was Liz Ogbu, community activist designer.

http://www.architectmagazine.com/practice/a-social-media-wrap-up-of-the-2015-aia-grassroots-leadership-and-legislative-conference_o

This kind of work is gaining traction! As is the progressive, inclusive attitudes that accompany it and are needed in our social lives.
May 6, 15 12:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: