Archinect
anchor

Tips For Success As An Architect From Frank Harmon FAIA

Every now and then I have a spectacular interviewee over on the Business of Architecture show.

The interview with Frank Harmon FAIA was one such interview.

He shared thoughts on success as an architect from over 40 years in practice, working for luminaries such as Richard Meier (not to mention his own excellent work).

Catch the full interview here: Success As An Architect With Frank Harmon

I look forward to your thoughts from what he shares.

Apr 28, 15 9:37 am
SpatialSojourner

"I don't do architecture for awards." [4:30]  This is one of the more eye opening things about working in the industry - Before working in the profession, I didn't realize how much effort and money that firms put into winning these things.  What is the advantage of paying $150++ for the chance to win an award from a nameless magazine like Residential Architect?

Other than that, it was very informative. It would have been interesting to get his take on the state of architecture currently. 

Apr 28, 15 10:57 am  · 
 · 
kimweiss

Residential Architect is NOT a nameless magazine! And it just happens to be one of Frank Harmon's favorite professional journals. I know this because (full disclosure) I am Frank's publicist.

That said, there is a decided advantage to paying $150+ for the chance to win an award. If you hope to have your work published, awards carry an enormous amount of weight. If you ever hope to be elevated to Fellowship in the AIA, design awards -- and lots of them -- are absolutely crucial. Just saying...

Apr 28, 15 11:37 am  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

I am very familiar with Residential Architect, I've had to run award submissions down to Hanley Wood's offices a couple times, haha.  It's just the only time anyone at the firms I've worked at has opened a copy is when the firm has won an award.  I don't mean to pick on anyone/thing specifically, my question was more about the general validity of paying a bunch (in time, effort, and $) to win an award like that.

I'm quite a few years off from thinking about an FAIA but I'm very interested in the marketing, branding, ect. side of running an architecture firm.  It would be interesting to hear your perspective on the business of architecture from your vantage as a publicist for architecture firms.   

Apr 28, 15 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

sorry kim, I'm gonna piss in your wheaties too...residential architect blows...it is a rag full product ads and the junky projects that use those crappy products...ads on ads on ads...it is not about the architecture.  If you use the siding that took out the most expensive ad in that rag...guess what?  you win!

To enter a competition in a professional office costs way more than the entry fee.  Tons of time goes into the back end design and prep for those kinds of things. 

Apr 28, 15 7:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: