Archinect
anchor

Architects and Charity

BulgarBlogger

I was speaking to someone earlier about the importance of not being selfish in relationships. I started thinking about the very premise of what it means to contribute to society as architects- what the larger meaning of our work is and I came to the conclusion that on paper architects do a lot for society, but we always get something in return for it (or at least that is what our contracts promise or should promise us). 

I know there will be people on this forum who will contribute cynical stances on the issue of charity (architecture is a charity or the profession is a non-profit, among other viewpoints), but on a completely serious note: how many of you actually do charity work? How many of you give money to charity? How important is charity in your minds? Or do you think architecture is all-encompassing and you therefore feel you do enough?

Apr 25, 15 10:20 pm
Carrera

I've raised money for many things (museum's, sculptures), and it's an interesting study, interesting to see who donates what, why & why not.... generally surprises me because I never have been a "giver" and I don't know why, but I have always donated my time... no church I've ever belonged to paid for architectural services.... my new church wants to build a $3 million satellite church and I decided tonight to donate all of the architectural services...I have a gift and I give the gift... think as architects that is a good way to gift... while it has a monetary value, architecture comes from the heart, which doubles its value.... to them and for me.

Apr 25, 15 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

Disappointed, I thought this thread was about charity for architects.

When my father heard that the Jewsish Center of the Hamptons was planning to build a synagogue he pretty much threw himself at the board, giving them presentatation after presentation. He met with the Rabbi, he met with former clients who were members. Nothing. They saw him as the architect for rich people, so what could he know about spirituality? Ignore the obvious irony.

Eventually, after two years of this, my father offered to do the project for no fee. The board members looked at each other and one said (in a nasally voice), "No fee? Whatdda we got to lose?"

Apr 26, 15 9:02 am  · 
 · 

Over the years I have given time and money to various organizations United Way, Habitat for Humanity etc.

One of the most rewarding experiences I have had career wise was doing schools. We got paid for it but we put in a lot unpaid of time trying to bring it under budget as far as possible so they could use that money for books, upgrade computers or hire a special programs instructor.

Right now I am working 100+ hours a week so it is difficult to do anything else other than helping people on a individual basis. I don't have a lot of money, but if someone hits me up I will give them 20 bucks for food or fill up their gas tank.

I have as much right to be cynical as the next person believe me I have had some hard miles in these 63 years and don't blame people for not giving time or money considering how many organizations are just money pit scams. I do at least try to find out how much goes to administrative costs. I know I get scammed sometimes but for me it is easier to give someone some money than beat myself up for not helping someone who might be in dire need.

Apr 26, 15 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

This is rather embarrassing... I thought the architectural community would be more selfless... I guess our "talent" is all we can pretty much give out... 

Apr 26, 15 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
TedTedTed

I raise money for a charity throughout the year each year (ABTA, specifically) outside of work.

I know Studio/Gang did pro bono work, usually a dedicated project each year.  I am not sure if they have that internal office policy still with them being a larger office now and being busy.  I guess it would depend on whether they have the staff and revenue flow to facilitate that.  Specifically, the SOS Children's Village Community Center was done as pro bono; not sure what other projects of theirs may have been done pro bono as well.

Apr 26, 15 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
Lian Chikako Chang

Hey BulgarBlogger,

At the ACSA, we published a directory of community design and public interest initiatives, which might give you a sense of what architects/designers are doing in this space, and Autodesk Foundation has a similar resource.

http://www.acsa-arch.org/resources/data-resources/community-design

http://www.impactdesignhub.org/

Apr 27, 15 11:18 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

used to do volunteer a lot when I had time but not money, now its the opposite, I guess I really should be more generous.

seems like there was an article a few months ago about non-profit architecture firms.  Local to me, the Detroit collaborative design center is all non-profit work (they might get paid for some projects)

now that its not optional I have a pretty bad attitude towards community service.

Apr 27, 15 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Don't forget all the money we architects end up donating to indigent builders and developers.

Apr 27, 15 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

design work pro-bono for: Architecture for Humanity, local land trust, local non-profit urban farm, local watershed alliance.  i particularly enjoyed the urban farm work as their initiatives are to provide low-cost fresh produce along with cooking and nutrition courses to lower diabetes risk (in collaboration with healthcare providers with academic oversight taking data to assess effectiveness, they're hoping to get healthcare providers to 'prescribe' farming in lieu of pills)

also try to show up to municipal design workshops for planning projects.

when i give it's usually to my alma maters, fund raisers for local non-profits,  museum/botanical memberships (not exactly charity, but i feel like i'm contributing to cultural institutions).

part of charity work ends up being advocacy and public awareness of what design professionals do, and many non-profits have potential clients on their boards.

Apr 27, 15 5:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: