Archinect
anchor

Becoming a better architect

Anob

I work in a very technical firm which I enjoy. Whats the most efficient way to become more knowledgeable while also prepare for my license exams? 

Apr 24, 15 2:53 pm
chigurh

think harder

Apr 24, 15 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

Do your own work on the side. Pick a direction and follow it.

Apr 24, 15 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Pull out stick sets of the firms past projects and read and analyze and study them until you can't stand it.  Think hard about everything they did and why they did it.

Apr 25, 15 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

Build something. May not help with the exams but will certainly help with the architecture.

Apr 25, 15 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

learn the trickery of poetry legal language....

technical means you probably know what you are doing.

the ARE exams prepare you to be able to say things about architecture without actually knowing what you are doing while covering your ass....

the exams are kind of funny and backwards, but I passed after laughing a few times during the exams practically exclaiming "I would never do, draw, or say that, but I know what these ARE people want to hear!"

design competitions and some theory...

Apr 25, 15 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Looking back.... think too... competitions... stick-sets and build something. Competitions for the art, the other two to learn how it all works.... probably nothing more valuable than an architect that knows how to build.

Apr 26, 15 12:01 am  · 
 · 
Anob

Thank you everyone. Those are great suggestions. 

Apr 27, 15 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Sean!

See one project all the way through from design through construction. Get on site, when on site get to know the contractors both the CMs guys and the subs. Ask questions, if you get a good site super who likes you that can really make a difference and supercharge your learning experience 

Apr 27, 15 10:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: