Archinect
anchor

Is it worth it?

tonto16

Hi all,

I am currently in grad school (3.5 year program), and the more I talk to people and the more I find out, I am really questioning the decision.  Why would I have absolutely no life for 3 years, spend thousands and thousands of dollars to go into debt, and waste away in school stressed out, when the pay is equivalent or less than what I could be making with my undergraduate degree?

I looked into it before I went through all this trouble, and from what I understood is that if you love it then it's worth it, and you can make *decent* money.  I do like it, but at what cost? The hands-on creative aspect is what I like best, and I wonder if I can find that in other fields without a M.Arch degree.  To me, making decent money would be starting at around 50k and quickly moving closer to 100k  in 5 years for such an investment -not closer to 40-70k. I also worry that the field is so full of opinionated, egotistic people that I would hate it.  

Anyone in the field have advice?  Do you know of parallel careers that are similar that A) pay more or B) don't require an architecture degree?

Apr 23, 15 1:43 pm
Good_Knight

"To me, making decent money would be starting at around 50k and quickly moving closer to 100k  in 5 years for such an investment -not closer to 40-70k."

Yes.  that is a problem that is not going away anytime soon and its completely out of anyone in particular's control.

"I also worry that the field is so full of opinionated, egotistic people that I would hate it."

I've come to believe that this is the nature of the work + human nature.  Again, not something that is in anyone in particular's control.  This aspect will never change.

"Anyone in the field have advice? "

Get serious sooner rather than later.  If you are serious about the 50k and quickly moving closer to 100k statistically its very very very very very very very unlikely in architecture.

Best you can reasonably hope for is, if you are graduating from Yale, $44,800 starting out and $91,900 about 10 years in (source:  http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/perspecta-47)

Apr 23, 15 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
your concerns are the best reason to work in an office between undergrad and grad.

fwiw, I agree with good_knight. if money that quickly is critical, you'll almost certainly need to work in a specialized office.
Apr 23, 15 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

Architecture is no longer a profession for Breadwinners. If you want a job that supports a spouse and kids with a backyard and picket fence, there are more lucrative career paths. If you came into Architecture school with only $$$ on your mind, you will have a bad time. Not to mention the fact that you're also going into debt over it.  Perhaps Industrial design pays more in the long run, or construction management. Outside of Architecture, engineering or accounting are good options.

Apr 23, 15 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

I typed out a long reply and it failed to actually post. Long story short by getting off the typical architecture career path I've gone from $35k to $78k in less than five years since my M.Arch. I now am in amusement park and rollercoaster ride design.

Apr 23, 15 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

What did you do for your undergrad? If it's also Arch... you're screwed. Your only hope is to go into construction management or the developer side. Hopefully you are able to convince them that you have what they need.

Apr 23, 15 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

took me 7 years and 2 jumps across the world to go from 50k to 100k, but it's possible. started at urban design projects and now on high end second homes residential.

Apr 23, 15 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't get all the complaining about low-wages. Sure, there are people who undervalue themselves and agree to work for minimum wage (or less)... perhaps these are the only ones who complain. I'm looking to jump into a new tax bracket next year...

Apr 23, 15 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

Gee.  Could the "complaining" really be in reaction to the facts?

Fact:  Arch school takes 5-6 years.  Leave 100k in debt.  Yearly payment around $10,000 for around 25 years.

Fact:  Training period (to actually unlearn all the BS "taught" in arch school and learn practically useful skills aka IDP) typically takes 7 years to complete.

Fact:  Architect Registration ExaminationSSSSSSS take about 3 years to complete on average.

Fact:  average pay for a licensed architect is abysmally low for the hours put in on a daily/ weekly/ hourly/ basis.

Fact:  15 years or so outside of architecture school, the average grad is lucky to be just starting to break even with the banks.

Indentured Servants aren't typically going to be happy about it.  Of course, a few get lucky and escape early and then proceed to feign wonder about what all the "complaining" is about.  

Apr 23, 15 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^everyone's mileage differs.

Apr 23, 15 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Maybe I’m wrong, but $100k+ is unrealistic without ownership, you’d need to be a Rainmaker to get there. What you can’t read or help with on this forum is moxie…..if you’ve got some then maybe…think this single idea of teaching everybody to be a practicing architects is wrong, with so many alternatives for graduates. My niece graduated as a social worker and converted it into six figure pharmaceutical sales within 2 years. It’s good you’re peering out the tent before leaving camp.

Apr 23, 15 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

^ agree.  Architecture school provides you with a very diverse education...I don't understand why people are so in the box after school...A degree is a piece of paper.  The education is what counts...and I really believe that the M-arch is one of the most applicable educations you can get...There should be an 'unconventional practice' class taught alongside 'pro-practice.'

Apr 23, 15 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Can we first start teaching pro practice like it matters at LEAST as much as the theory and archibabble classes?

Apr 23, 15 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Should be looking at everybody over the final 2 years to analyze the moxie….talking and recommending career paths and exploring the alternatives….and how about finding you guy’s jobs for the thousands you pay. I know, too logical.

Apr 23, 15 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

^absolutely, in fact, tech careers have job fairs all the time and companies fight over talent. I would advocate for licensing and job placement upon graduation as a requirement for architecture schools.

Apr 23, 15 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

JLC-1, who's going to "require" that? (laughing).

Apr 23, 15 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i don't think 'moxie' is as useful today as it was in the 50's.  certainly not to a recent grad.

Apr 23, 15 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Why are we in the box? The IDP and licensing process is a box alright, what else you gonna do but get in?

Apr 23, 15 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

boxes are awesome!

Apr 23, 15 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Curt, probably too strong of word, but its definition is still valid - force of character, determination, or nerve….maybe not starting out, but certainly a factor when defining a long term path, especially if your path heads north of $100k…..know some brilliant mice that are north of 100, but not many....too many cats.

Apr 23, 15 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

its always easier to find a reason not to do something than to do it

Apr 23, 15 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the internet says moxie means

: the ability to be active

: courage or determination

in a world where it's not who you are but who you know, those qualities are less determinate than knowing someone who can give you opportunity.  if the 'who you know' is giving opportunity to a 'fortunate son' of sorts, like the kid who was the son of an architect friend of yours that you wanted to create an opportunity for, then that opportunity goes to someone other than the person with 'moxie.'

there is no replacement for hard work and determination.  if opportunity does happen upon you, the knowledge and habits gained from hard work and determination will help you do something with that opportunity.  however, hard work and determination on their own don't account for much.

Apr 23, 15 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

^ well maybe its “determination”, think you have to be determined to get north of 100…don’t think you drift there….”who you know” is an interesting subject….I didn’t know anybody (well not many) and learned late that it would have been a lot easier if I did….that though gets into personality, they might like your dad but they have to like you. In any event these things need to be analyzed in school….figure out what makes someone tick and dish out some honest advice. 

Apr 23, 15 8:25 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

You need to figure out what you want to do with your career. I'm not sure about your professional experience  but you have a lot of options and paths. It's for you to decide your priorities / path.  If you have real skills and knowledge people will pay for it. If you're straight out of school you'll have to earn your wings, but you'll get there. I'm doing well financially, not working my dream job but it's a balance that works for me.

Apr 23, 15 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
tonto16

Thanks all. My undergraduate degree was in health administration. And you're absolutely right. If not for the incredible investment in both time and money, then having to take certifications, I wouldn't cmplain about the salary but come on! I have friends who will be at or near that 6 figure mark within 5 years easily and they didn't have to go through any of this. I do think that the cream rises to the top, so to speak, but it seems to be a very select few. Is becoming a developer a viable option? Consulting? Again, I got into it because I like architecture and I am good at it (the top 5 percent of my class), but too many practiced architects I see seem defeated and suggest alternative career paths.

Apr 24, 15 9:18 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

Is becoming a developer a viable option? Consulting? Again, I got into it because I like architecture and I am good at it (the top 5 percent of my class), but too many practiced architects I see seem defeated and suggest alternative career paths.

A developer is very viable, but you have to have access to capital.  That means equity investors and cooperative bankers.  Very difficult if you don't have a track record and "don't know anybody".  Is it "worth it"?  If you are already asking the question, then it probably isn't.  You are too normal to be able to kid yourself about it for the next 30 years.  You have to drink a huge cup of the KoolAid to rationalize this profession.

Apr 24, 15 9:42 am  · 
 · 
empea
I am an architect working in structural engineering and still feel almost embarrassed at my sense of wonder at our new grads coming in actually knowing stuff from school they can use from day one (beyond rendering, pdfing and half-demented timeframe 3d charettes). Sure, AEC projects are messy for everyone involved and it still takes years also for an engineer to learn how to prioritize and work on the right problem at the right time - this I think is pretty universal and to some degree decoupled from technical know how. But at discreet tasks right out of school other AEC professionals are years ahead of architects in terms of applicable skill. The "critical thinking" that architectural education (especially grad school) focuses on to the detriment of technical skill is in my opinion highly useful, but so ephemeral that this is only once it's been combined with enough practical knowledge, which oftentimes takes 10-20 years to accumulate. This is why the respective salary structures roughly relate as follows: if x years of experience renders salary y, this will be a number right on the median for engineers whereas in arch this same salary will be in the 95th percentile for the same experience. This can still mean that both salary progressions are linear, and that distributions are symmetrical and bell shaped, but it does suggest that arch salaries start and end way lower.
Apr 24, 15 9:48 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

geezer, is there an option to get out of school and work for a developer, to gain whatever skills and knowledge you need about that industry?  i know of developers who hire people, but i don't know if they hire recent grads, or if it's based entirely on getting hired through already knowing someone, or what education background they look for.

Apr 24, 15 9:52 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

The one thing architects have that developers don’t is imagination, finding good design opportunities from nothing….gives you an advantage worth pursuing. May take some years getting some general experience, and then do a slide-over.

Apr 24, 15 10:26 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

Carerra - having spent a considerably part of my career on the developer's side of the table, my experience suggests that many developers (especially the good ones) do have considerable imagination -- it just doesn't always come from the same place that ours' does and it tends to take a different form.

tonto16 - if you really want to be involved in the design and construction process, consider an MBA or a MRED for a second degree. It will take less time than a M.Arch and you'll be much better positioned to move directly into a real estate firm -- where the economic potential clearly will come closer to matching your expectations.

Good luck.

Apr 24, 15 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: