Archinect
anchor

Neo-Classical/Traditional Flat Screen TV (The Masters-ESPN)

awaiting_deletion

The set decorator must have been surfin' Archinect, and here you have it - my wish has come true - Flat Screen with  Trim Molding! (can't remember on what discussion this came up)

from wiki - "At their simplest, moldings are a means of applying light and dark shaded stripes to a structural objects without having to change the material or apply pigments. The contrast of dark and light areas gives definition to the object."

Apr 11, 15 5:21 pm
x-jla

lol.   

Apr 11, 15 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

It's the Masters, Dumbo! They also dye the water hazards blue (seriously) and have AstroTurf on the stone bridges across the creek (seriously). You are supposed to be impressed (seriously). Any lingering doubts can be put to rest by smarmyJim Nantz and the British announcers they drag out of the crypt each year for one more go.

Apr 11, 15 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

was at this crab shack near Tybee Island the other night, my wife picked up that the dudes behind us in button shirts and colorful shorts with golfer hats with buddies that looked like  long haired hacky sack playin' guys were with a golfer who didn't make it to the Masters for the first time in 6 years..

two of the guys were architects, smart kids.

Volunteer are you at the Master right now?

Apr 11, 15 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Nope, I'm just watching on teevee. It's the only tournament I watch each year. I secretly enjoy it. That said, if you wanted to do a send up on golf the Masters would be the place to start.

Apr 11, 15 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

Let me fix that for you -

Apr 11, 15 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Fucking awesome Miles!! Golf tournament at Versailles!

Apr 11, 15 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
Baaaaaaarf.
Apr 11, 15 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Oddly enough the iconic Master's Clubhouse does not have a known architect and may have been the product of the owner and builder. It has been described as a union of West Indies and Louisiana Plantation styles. In the 1800s the land was owned by Dennis Redmond who wanted to diversify the state's economy away from cotton. He also did not own any slaves.

He started a large fruit-tree farm and built a house on the property which was completed in 1857. The house has 18 inch thick concrete walls and may have been the first house in the south to use all concrete construction. It is also quite small, with the nine-foot deep wrap around porch giving the appearance of size.  Shortly afterward Redmond sold the property to Prosper Berckman, a Belgian immigrant, who expanded the 300 acre operation to include flowers and shrubs. Berckman was an accomplished horticulturist and developed many species of Georgia peaches that are still being grown.

After many productive years the land fell into disuse when it was picked up by golfer Bobby Jones in the 1930s. The plan was to demolish the clubhouse and build a new one designed by Willis Irvin who specialized in neoclassical homes for the wealthy. But Bobby Jones could not come up with the money for a new one so the old house was renovated. Through the years additional buildings have been built adjacent to the clubhouse but none have been allowed to upstage it.

In an aside, the golf course designer, Alistair McKenzie, was never paid in full for designing the course and died in poverty, from that and other setbacks in the Depression.  

http://1drv.ms/1aZpwzD

Apr 14, 15 8:36 am  · 
 · 

^ Jaffe's First Law. Alas.

Apr 14, 15 10:00 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Interesting.....let's assume no one designed the trim on the touch screen television either, ha

Apr 14, 15 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Of course the Augusta clubhouse had an architect, but not in the constipated, self-reverential definition usually used here. It may well have been the owner and builder winging it.The house seems to be a blend of the Creole style plantations around New Orleans which were derived from the French West Indies plantation homes which were themselves influenced by building styles in France.

Apr 16, 15 8:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: