Archinect
anchor

Managing Design Changes

BulgarBlogger

Design is inherently a work in progress. However, when it comes to time and money, the way we create, organize, and budget the design process makes the difference between a profitable and unprofitable endeavor. Although Project Managers all have their own methods in dealing with the design process, is there are general way of reducing what may seem as an endless slue of changes (not because of errors or omissions) but because of a client's indecisiveness, especially when there are "too many cooks in the kitchen."?

Mar 19, 15 1:10 pm
curtkram

try to get a single point of contact at the start, and get it in writing, in the contract.  the cooks in the kitchen can debate among themselves all they want then, as long as it's all funneled through a single person to you.

pick a point in time when you're done designing.  probably at bid or permit or something.  then charge add services to changes so there is at least some sort of disincentive to changing beyond that point.

Mar 19, 15 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Owners think that changing their minds is a prerogative and need to be taught otherwise at the outset.

Mar 19, 15 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Don't start CDs until Design Development is billed and paid in full. Document the shit out of changes and bill for them immediately. 

As per your request for _________, we have completed _________ additional work which is itemized on the attached invoice. Thank you. 

Changes during the design phase are more difficult to deal with if they aren't changes to the program. Timing can help, slowing down or speeding up the work flow as a way to manipulate the client into a decision. 

Mar 19, 15 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

I put the number of designs into my contract "you get 3 design options".

Once they pass that point I am asking for add time. 

Mar 19, 15 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Yes I always limit changes. It costs them to be indecisive.

Mar 19, 15 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

How do you define "changes"?

Mar 19, 15 8:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: