Archinect
anchor

Using office sales reps for personal project

MKCro16

I'm working on a personal project and was looking into using some of the products that our office sales reps have presented.  Would it be wrong/unethical/looked down upon for me to use an office sales rep for a personal project that the office isn't working on?

Mar 4, 15 11:15 am
proto

no, but be clear about what you're doing

Mar 4, 15 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you have my permission.

Mar 4, 15 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Policy in my office is that it's kosher as long you inform the rep that it is for a personal project, not one on the office's books. We've had too many designers approach product reps looking for discounts using the firm's name (and therefore it's client list) and this creates the illusion of future considerations for the rep on our much larger projects.

Mar 4, 15 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
cajunarch

as long as you are honest its usually cool - and many reps will still want to help because they know if you like the products you should be a passionate advocate

Mar 4, 15 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

All reps are looking for is some love and will take it whenever they can get it, but understand that "repping" has changed. It used to matter to get an architect to write you into a spec but today it's rare to get that and frankly doesn't matter.....so the smart seasoned ones just lay back and wait till jobs are bid then scramble for "or equal" permission... not that they don't need the love its just that it's just not that critical. OP may find mixed results but certainly should follow the ethical prescriptions just posted.

Mar 4, 15 10:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: