Archinect
anchor

study in Germany, work in New York

StudioR

hi all,

i'm a female korean b.arch holder from Seoul and i spent around 14 months in an architecture firm in my home city Seoul right after i graduated from my university.

i am okay(just okay) with the current situation of this firm and my standard of living at the moment but i know definitely that i wont stay at this firm, in this country forever.

to make it simple, firstly i would like to boost up my design 
i just want to do 'my' works integrated with all the other details/technologies . I haven't done much of research but considering all the costs and benefits, i would like to deepen my study(or to boost up my design..) in Germany.

i'm not a daughter of a millionaire nor my gpa at uni is that competitive. i just got to to know little bit of how to design well in the last few months of uni. (and my final project was the top of my school). i did apply for this company with good reasons, i considered A lot.

after spending a year in here i got to realise that i want to go for grad school for the design in germany and haha want to work in my favorite city in the world, New York.

i still havent reaaally decided what works to do, what to study. and i believe that if my works are excellent enough, i can be going to anywhere in the world no matter where my education background is. there should be such a looong words to describe all the situations, perspectives that i hold toward life, dreams and etc but i just want to know some real stories ... like school networks or...

ya, possibility of my dream

work in new york study in germany... 

think i fear a lot before i set up a plan and go for it. 

-----------

where to live /what works to do/with whom

there is no difference in level of importance of these three.

i spent lots of time and ta da, i ended up with the answer, germany(aachen),new york

i thought it would be so easy to choose what works to do, archi designing

hell who said it would be easy. . . . . .. ( i wish the third one comes easier...;;) 

Feb 26, 15 4:43 am
fulcrum

yeah, I dream something like that a lot, but reality sucks (sorry).

I can say this as a transplant; it's easier for you (in a long run) to go to a school where you want to live and settle, because you can establish network via professors and social events during the school... which can lead to your first job, which will enable you to get a proper visa.

and of course, if you or your family is rich, none of this matters, but you say you are not.

Good luck... and dream BIG when you are young.

Feb 26, 15 8:25 am  · 
 · 
StudioR

it's easier for you (in a long run) to go to a school where you want to live and settle, <<ya, thats normal path right? hahaha..

Feb 26, 15 8:53 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

I should have said, "easier path for you."

So what I am saying to you is that if you want to work in NYC, going to school in the States will make it easier for you in a long run, that's all.

There are many great cities, metropolitan cities in Europe...  maybe going to school in Germany and travel around a bit could change your mind about living in NYC.

Feb 26, 15 9:06 am  · 
 · 

Have you ever been to New York?

Feb 27, 15 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
StudioR

thanks for the comments everyone. Pandekage- wonder why i couldn't even think of such things....:)  Miles- ya, spent a year in american public high school and since then have traveled to lots of cities in america and in europe

Feb 28, 15 6:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: