Archinect
anchor

To Attach or NOT Attach....

Larchinect

I watched (listened) to 'my architect' again today while working--ed bacon rants about kahn wanting to build parking garages and letting people walk the city. this idea infuriated bacon. so, blame the planners...

there are lots of towns carerra, in the west especially that came about from mining and rail expansion, not so much roads. ..so,e of those small towns have very rich heritages. just saying not all exurban areas are sprawl.. ;)

Mar 5, 15 12:13 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

personally i blame civic leaders

My theory is that most people would rather just move than fight to improve their neighborhood/city/school system, etc.  Why spend all that effort when you can just move to a better area?  Unfortunately that area is the suburbs (sprawl) and after a while the only people left in the city are the ones who couldn't leave.

People are moving back to cities now, but my fear is that unless the schools improve they'll leave once kids arrive.  I can only speak for the detroit area, but sending kids to detroit public schools seems really dumb when some of the best schools in the state are 15 miles away.

a big part of detroit's decline is related to its history of racial discrimination, so I don't know how well the experience here translates across the country

Mar 5, 15 7:53 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

This sprawl issue is perplexing and I like talking about it but it always ends up in the same place, so long as energy is affordable (whatever that means) one sounds like Chicken Little when talking about it.... but if the music ever stops don't look for this Chicken Little in a food line...

Mar 5, 15 9:58 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

instead of blaming, we should be the change we want to see.

of course i don't know how to do that, so i'm just going to burn with the rest of the planet.  but whatever.  maybe when it all falls down i'll be able to live under google's thunderdome, but probably not.

who run barter town?

Mar 5, 15 10:19 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

size does matter, bee colonies rarely go beyond 60000 individuals. They don't sprawl out of the hive, a new colony is created outside of the resource area.

Mar 5, 15 10:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: