Archinect
anchor

food in studio

Have you ever used food to make a model, or during a crit/presentation?

Example: Before co-founding the Coolhaus ice cream sandwich company, Natasha Case made models out of cake in architecture school.

and

What foods do you eat/stash in studio?

Feb 24, 15 3:09 pm
Non Sequitur

I stashed beer and wine in studio. In the real world, my booze is kept well in sight in the office.

Feb 24, 15 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞
I used to make a mean pasta carbonara.
Feb 24, 15 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

I've told this story before: My friends and I did a group project on Baroque architecture. We wrote a long historical analysis paper then had to do a special project for a presentation. So we made Baroque cakes: Versailles, the Karlskirche, St. Peter's Baldacchino, and St. Mary in Murcia.  Much frosting was glopped. Then after the presentation we invited our classmates and professor to enjoy all the cake.

Naturally, we got an A.

Feb 24, 15 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

two architecture students, in love, together took a job helping a senior professor with some model building, late at night, hungry and starry eyed, perchance did telephone a pizza establishment and ordered a large, most greasy the pizza did come and was alighted upon the old work table, upon the next morning the birds henceforth chirping the lovers did awake, crusty eyed to discover the pizza box a-glued upon said work table. t'was nothing they assumed, scraping the largest offending scraps to trash. later, the professor, a blissful night having a-slept did perchance to happen upon to his office, to discover the table, a gift from mies upon the completion of the seagram building, ruined by two students, an F was their grade. 

Feb 24, 15 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

I once saw someone make a model out of cake... bad idea.

Feb 24, 15 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i did a sculpture as an undergrad. it was a plaster of paris mold of my girlfriend which was adorned with a waiter's apron. she held a serving tray and cutlery, which held a plaster paris mold of my head and was garnished with lettuce and tomatoes.

Feb 24, 15 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

In a drawing (explicitly DRAWING) art studio elective that I took in second year, we were given a final assignment dealing with the body. I spent days doing a set of drawings experimenting with the mixing of willow charcoal and indian ink for expression of movement.

On final presentation day, a girl showed up with a set of simple, round cookies clearly baked the morning of. She presented them as dealing with the body because it was food. It became a weird meta-situation of who was putting on who. The prof (who was very much detached from reality) decided it was brilliant.

And that was the end of my academic art career.

Feb 24, 15 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Not exactly food but I showed up to class with a cut log wrapped in fungi to scan in 3D, could been food but this mushroom was toxic or hallucinogenic .....also brought a Venus Flower Basket (deep sea fiber optic sponge). The prof had a scientist from 3M near Princeton speak on how the is alive sponge had better performing glass fibers than the best man made fiber optics......the girls in class were a bit squimish when I said it was alive at some point.

Feb 24, 15 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

a guy next to me in studio had a model fashioned out of fermented peaches and plexiglass. He got an A, as you would expect. Very meta. 

Feb 24, 15 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
thebloodfiend

A girl in one of my classes made her final out of cake. It was not successfully implemented, but it was somewhat tasty. I think she got a B. 

Feb 25, 15 10:19 am  · 
 · 

Steven Ward, come share the story of your egg-dome!

Feb 25, 15 11:51 am  · 
 · 

At Cranbrook we did a small gallery pin-up of one of our studio projects in the Museum. We served sherry and almonds, nothing else. Quite restrained.

Feb 25, 15 11:53 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Not exactly food, but we snuck a keg into our graduate studio on a hand-truck during a guest lecture, then had a wicked rager later that night.

Teaching a class for a friend at IIT... walk into the studio and some kid is reheating/ eating meatloaf at his desk. I did not give him a desk crit. Disgusting behaviour from an aspiring aesthete. 

I keep a bottle of bourbon in my desk at work. And some emergency cookies. Never know when you will need a chocolate infusion to buoy your spirits.

Feb 26, 15 12:01 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Beer qualifies as food.....we had this brilliant studio prof who made the jury date during the crazy party week prior to finals. Feeling left out of the campus debauchery we purchased a kiddie pool for studio and filled the pool with ice and beer....the day of the jury most of us were passed out from long nights and alcohol. the prof took one look at a few beer cans left in the kiddie pool and all the empty ones throughout studio and rescheduled. After he left we jokingly stacked cans and said - look at my tower, and then went back to sleep.

Feb 26, 15 7:13 am  · 
 · 

I love these responses! keep 'em coming.

[not architecture but studio art nonetheless] I once took a sound art class where one assignment was to write a "score" for a nonexistent piece of music. I laminated individual sandwich ingredients (turkey, lettuce, tomato, mustard, sprouts, etc.) and put them in a paper bag for people to reach into and pull out at random.

Feb 27, 15 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I recall a guy who used Tooth Paste to simulate water in a model.

Feb 27, 15 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
Medusa

I'd be lying if I said I never used broccoli as trees in a model.

Feb 28, 15 3:09 pm  · 
 · 

Never used food as part of an actual project for architecture and that would or could violate University rules as that can be a health hazard. When I used actual plant material for a class, it was risky and concerning enough - ie. spiders, bugs, etc. You may have to use a light spray of insecticide that is generally plant safe.

As for food, it shouldn't be used as that can be a serious health problem and if you do something that has good probability of causing health problems for other students, you can end up getting student disciplinary action. Students are required to conduct their activities including class work in a manner that does not needlessly harm the health of other students. Decaying food and biological growth can be a health hazard so I would advise to use discretion and judgment here. 

Just raising the point of concerns that may come to mind so if you use food, use something like maybe gummy bears or something that would not likely cause serious health problems with bacterial growth including mold. Just think about it.

Using food during a presentation, I've seen food present during presentations so yeah, perhaps. When you are presenting, it is best practice of professionalism to not be eating while talking. Not exactly professional looking which would nip into your presentation points... I would think is a possibility.

Feb 28, 15 6:53 pm  · 
 · 

Amelia, so is this research for an upcoming feature? Looking for inspiration?

Just curiosity?

Mar 3, 15 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

Nam: just curious. But today's curiosity could become tomorrow's feature =)

Mar 4, 15 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
Ose Etomi

My Uni always had week long introductory projects, to get us back into the working mood after a long summer holiday. So while everyone else was enjoying freshers week we were hard at work. Sigh, the good old days.

Anyway, one of our introductory projects was to build a scale replica model of a building of our choosing using nothing but a standard packet of cornflakes. People got really creative with this, used the box, the plastic lining and even the cornflakes themselves to come up with stunning models.

Mar 4, 15 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

during final crits we would pick a random word...nothing to do with design...and keep snapple bottles filled with whiskey within reach. each time someone managed to work the random word into their presentation the rest had to take a shot. needless to say with the sleep deprivation and our poor diets we were drunk quite quickly. moving the large scale site models around the room became verrrrry dicey about halfway through the day.

Mar 4, 15 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

@purple i would love to see an example photograph. cornflake architecture...

Mar 7, 15 8:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: