Archinect
anchor

This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

curtkram

it's interesting that you see this as a thing that can be fixed rather than scrapped and done right.....

so you view the columns as acting something like this?

rather than the more faux-column-ish type thing you see here

Feb 12, 15 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
So happy right now. This makes me miss architecture.

And Dub K!!!!!!
Feb 12, 15 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

Deep pile shag carpet, wall-hung TV next to the bed with exposed wires for easy maintenance and 20" wide door to bathroom. What's not to like?

Feb 12, 15 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
But Headphones.....deep pile shag feels so nice on the toes....
Feb 12, 15 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Yes, that's right Volunteer. It's called the "springliine" of the arch (now I'm just trying to impress EKE).
Feb 12, 15 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Curtkram I have to go with the 1% qoutes from Jla-x and wwvd as the best memes.......and Miles I have lofty goals, this thread warrants a Pritzker Prize winner type essay.......God bless Texas!

Feb 12, 15 6:46 pm  · 
 · 

Fun Fact:  Longview is the home town of one Matthew Mcconaughey.  So, that meme should read: "Longview, TX is just...Alright Alright Alright!"

Feb 12, 15 6:54 pm  · 
 · 

Maybe this is why it hurts

Feb 12, 15 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Troy, I love that "alright alright alright" comment. That, coupled with your creation of this thread has earned you the title of Master of the Internet.
Feb 12, 15 7:45 pm  · 
 · 

couldn't resist. 

Feb 12, 15 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

haha nice!

Feb 12, 15 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Show this house to the average person and you'll realize how much of a rift exists between "us" and "them". These folks will love the old world charm of the rustic stone yet appreciate the open floor plan, mancaves and master suites that today's lifestyle demands. While we cringe and gasp and utter a dismissive and defeated what the fuck, the domestic built environment continues its sentimental devolution. 

Feb 13, 15 9:28 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

How do you know what "the average person" thinks?  

Feb 13, 15 9:32 am  · 
 · 

The average person will like this garbage just as they enjoy the Kardashians and other pointless entertainment... because people generally like bad things.

We view buildings like composers listen to music. This is the Justin Beiber of architecture. The untrained will eat it up because they don't know that the sins it commits against the gods of architecture.

Feb 13, 15 9:41 am  · 
 · 
shivuy

I've looked at homes with my fiancé (who is an engineer), and the things I notice and become deciding factors make no sense and are invisible to people who don't know to look for them. We're both trained to see things in a certain way, and if you are unable to communicate these things then the next person will never know. It comes back to the issue of expressing the value of architects.

EDIT: damn, the forum automatically defaults to username and I forgot to hit the button for "real name" on the second post so now it looks schizophrenic and I'm debating with myself.

Feb 13, 15 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I showed this house to my husband.  We are currently house hunting, and so he assumed it was on the market here.  He is an "average person," and often thinks I'm overly critical/picky about houses.  He HATED the outside, but didn't mind the inside.  All he saw was open space, lots of white cabinets, and two sinks in the master bath.  He didn't notice the pilasters, the stair rail, or the stacked fireplaces in the kitchen.  He just saw house.  Plenty of space to put a couch and tv, and a garage to park in.

Besides, the average public would eventually paint over the brick/stone on the outside anyway, neutralizing the jumbled pallet.

Feb 13, 15 10:08 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

/

Feb 13, 15 10:18 am  · 
 · 

It's a matter of priorities.  How many times have we agonized over that one detail that is 15' in the air, then feel the need to point it out to everyone on completion, because otherwise it would never be noticed?  The built environment is a priority for us.  We are not the majority, however.  

This house is notable because it slaps you in the face with the palette.  I drove down the street in that neighborhood yesterday, and there are multiple houses that fit that "style", just with less offensive palettes.  There are also multiple "For Sale" signs.  I fully expect that within a month, there will be a "Contract Pending" on this house. 

Feb 13, 15 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I showed the house to my husband, he said OH GOD!! He thinks it is disgusting. 

Feb 13, 15 10:26 am  · 
 · 

So Troy you saw it? You saw THE HOUSE?!?!

Feb 13, 15 10:26 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Troy, on google maps the street this house is on is pretty much empty.  Is it full now?  a bunch of empty spec homes, or are they doing a build-to-suit model home type thing?

do they do spec homes where each one is somewhat unique, rather than dropping the same house lot after lot?

Feb 13, 15 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Troy, Could you tell what the siding is on the sides and rear of the house?

Feb 13, 15 10:55 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Troy, fake interest in purchasing the house and report back once you step inside to "tour".

Feb 13, 15 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Yes, my morbid curiosity got the best of me.  I stalked a house.  It is real.

Curt, it's a relatively new subdivision, and according to my sources, it's a mixture of spec homes and custom homes (my guess is the developer "seeded" the subdivision with homes, and is also selling lots).  I'm sure there are covenants involved related to exterior materials, looking at the houses currently built. The feeder (Bull Run, the one with Street View) is mostly full, but there are still a handful of lots. This street has about 5 houses on it, so the street is still relatively empty.  There is new construction finishing up right next door (uphill/left/east), and another couple of houses further downhill/right/west.  The north side of the street is still empty, and there is a cul-de-sac at the bottom of the hill, with one house on it.  Probably room for 10-12 more houses, assuming no new streets.

Generally, spec homes are "customish" around here.  There is only one neighborhood that I know of that is cookie cutter, lather rinse repeat, and that one is targeted at seniors (huge business in these parts).  Most developments will go between 5-6 different plans that aren't that different, and will vary the palette house to house.  

Feb 13, 15 11:09 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

have a realtor show it you with a hidden camera and ask them all sorts of architectural questions about it.  Please.  I will send you money to see that. 

Feb 13, 15 11:11 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

and look at how much interest you generated with your house stalking.  we don't even like the house and we're vicariously stalking it through you!

Feb 13, 15 11:12 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Dude!  we can do a whole undercover series about ugly houses.  

Feb 13, 15 11:13 am  · 
 · 

It was a quick drive-by, and it was covered up with workers next door, plus cars in their driveway, so didn't stop.  I believe the sides were brick.

Feb 13, 15 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

In my area (mostly in the past) the Unions used to track down houses being built nonunion then they would stop and ask the trades to join and if they didn't they would come back at night, tie chains to the house connected to trucks and drive away pulling the house to the ground.

We should do the same for "ugly". Troy, do you have a truck?

Feb 13, 15 11:21 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Realtor: this is the living room, very spacious

Troy: Yeah, whats going on with those pilasters?

Realtor: you mean the plaster?  dont understand?

Troy: would you say the house draws inspiration from Venturi?

Realtor: is that an Italian restaraunt?  

Feb 13, 15 11:27 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Troy: well not quite right for me, i was looking for something more deconstructivist, but nice springlines!

Feb 13, 15 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Of course Troy has a truck, this is Texas.

Feb 13, 15 11:34 am  · 
 · 
go do it

This thread has

Feb 13, 15 11:38 am  · 
 · 

how did you know?  4 door Ram 1500.  

What's a Union?

Feb 13, 15 11:41 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

What's a Union?

You know.  Those uppity northerners with their elitist ideas. "They're from the Union."  Not to be confused with those hillbillies from down south or the treehugger west coaster's. 

So in your standard golf club drawl (sort of John Wayne'ish), say "Yall from the Union I see. (snort and give the stink eye).."

Feb 13, 15 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

Yes.

Feb 13, 15 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Thayer-D

Fascinating to see the level of architectural debate today that an ugly house can elicit such sustained ridicule while on other posts, large anonymous buildings go ignored as par for the course.  The public seems to think the Lincoln Memorial is a masterpiece and it's contemporary houses beautiful, yet conceptually, the traditionalism of the past is not much different than what motivated this train wreck.  One might ask what is the reason for this qualitative difference, but that would entail introspection and looking at the public as equals.

"The average person will like this garbage just as they enjoy the Kardashians and other pointless entertainment... because people generally like bad things."

They don't make average people like they used to!

Feb 13, 15 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

...but that would entail introspection and looking at the public as equals

So the builder and homeowner who don't understand the role of a column and architrave relative to one another, and don't care to know, are my professional equal? Got it. So glad I went to architecture school for 8 years.

Feb 13, 15 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Thayer-D

The role of a column to an architrave...  is that what they taught you in school?  Cool. 

Maybe the builder and homeowner don't know this relationship because neither do most architects.  Don't know if you're aware, but traditional architecture isn't exactly on the list of priorities at most architecture schools.  BTW, do you think that relationship was important to 'average' people before WW2? 

Feb 13, 15 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

ThayerD, it appears you have not read this thread.

Feb 13, 15 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

The untrained will eat it up because they don't know that the sins it commits against the gods of architecture.

The Gods of Architecture, what a great thread that would be. 

Feb 13, 15 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Who WOULD be the Architecture Gods.....  I think I'll start that thread.  My students are behaving fairly well today...

Feb 13, 15 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

/

Feb 13, 15 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

god him(her)self is the 'great architect' in freemasonry

hestia was goddess of the hearth.  i believe architecture was part of her domain.  vesta was the roman equivalent.

Feb 13, 15 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

I started the thread!  Even nominated someone....

Feb 13, 15 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

Is this not why you are here?

Feb 13, 15 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Well, at least the garage doesn't face the street. And it does have a small porch where callers won't get drenched when ringing the doorbell. The eyebrow window is fairly common in the Hill Country houses near Fredericksburg, Texas, which was settled by early German immigrants, so that feature is not too off-the-wall. The Hill Country houses are often faced with off-white natural limestone thick rectangular veneer which would add a lot to this one. Inside, if you just rip out all the arches, the pilasters, and leave the necessary free-standing column(s) it would improve matters. Then reface the fireplace with the white limestone and you have started to make a dent.

Feb 13, 15 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

"The average person will like this garbage just as they enjoy the Kardashians and other pointless entertainment... because people generally like bad things."

They don't make average people like they used to!

I like bad music. I like bad movies. I haven't been trained in these arts nor have I spent years slaving away to mastering their creation. So, I blissfully absorb these stimuli without the baggage and critical eye that an acclaimed director would have. I hate to break it to everyone but we're average people too.

Feb 13, 15 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
Perfect meme, THEaquino! Welcome back!
Feb 13, 15 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
edcole

One thing I must say- the landscaping is on point, seems there was much more care applied to this than the building.

Feb 13, 15 6:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: