Archinect
anchor

Professional Portfolio tips?

Archi27

Hey all, I am getting ready to update my severely outdated portfolio. I have my MArch and a little under 3 years of experience under my belt, however I am not sure how to organize my new portfolio when it comes to adding in the work from my current job.

Most of the work from my office is pretty bland dry stuff from a design perspective, and not much in the form of presentation quality. I have mainly worked on office interiors which more or less have been "cookie cutter" in terms of design, and interior renovations of large buildings in NYC. The renovations are purely for getting the buildings up to date with certain local codes so there is little to no design behind this work either. We dont do much ground up work here either, and the cool design projects that I have worked on have unfortunately not been built and never really left design development. So what I am left with is some good work experience and a much better understanding of professional practice, but some really uninspiring drawings to show for it. Mainly just CD's.

On the other hand I have my college and thesis work, and my own personal design projects that I work on for fun and to stay sharp. These are all my presentation drawings, renderings, cool designs etc. Laying this stuff out is easy and I have plenty of drawings to choose from. What I was thinking was to break the portfolio into 2 sections, 1 CD section and one design/presentation section. I am concerned that this will lead to a portfolio which is half color and looks great and another half that is all black and white CD's. I have also considered making 2 separate portfolios, one with my professional CD's work, one with the design work.

So anyone else run into this, and if so how did you go about setting up your professional portfolio in a way that was intriguing? Any tips appreciated. 

Feb 4, 15 4:31 pm

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: