Archinect
anchor

Stereotyping Architects

LaxBro0813
I have always been asking the question about the income of an architect. About 60%-70% of results that I see are about them saying things along the lines of "I should have never gotten this degree!" Or "you hardly make enough to support yourself or a family!" So I'm just curious, does an architecture career actually pay well? I'm just wanting to know maybe about the middle income, not the high or low income people. I'm not asking for anyone to give out their yearly salary or anything, but I just wanna know if it's enough for myself and possibly a family??

Jan 19, 15 7:09 pm
curtkram

actually, you should be able to see people's salaries

http://salaries.archinect.com/

Jan 19, 15 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Compensation varies on your local market and practice type but from my experience, as long as you know how to detail and are a competent professional, you'll surpass those "woe is me" designers.

Just be aware that there is a loud minority who cry foul because they spent a quarter million on an art's degree thinking they were going to make 6 figures as architectural interns. This/they are not the norm, just disgruntled fools.

Jan 19, 15 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Just do what you love and buy a hot dog cart for money (weekends).

Jan 19, 15 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

YEA BRO! SO MUCH MONEY!  DO YOU EVEN LIFT BRO?  CAUSE YOU ARE GONNA NEED TO BE RIPPED AS SHIT TO CARRY YOUR PAYCHECK TO THE BANK!

Jan 19, 15 9:03 pm  · 
 · 

There is a dire shortage of starchitects and competitions are being cancelled left and right for lack of entries. Interns are getting guaranteed contracts, signing bonuses and full benefit packages. This is the golden age of architecture, don't even think about educational debt, by the time you graduate employers will be so desperate for help they'll gladly pay off your debt in exchange for a three year commitment. By then you will have completed your licensing requirements and can open your own office. The commissions will come pouring in so fast you'll have to turn down all but the best - the unlimited budget projects where clients defer to every stroke of your mouse.

Jan 19, 15 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

I think the biggest problem is that you'll spend lots of time with clients who have much, much more money than you - it makes it feel like the architect is at the bottom of the food chain.

But yeah, it's enough money to live a normal life assuming you're reasonably good at real-world work, don't mind working for other people, and don't go into deep debt for education.

Jan 19, 15 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: