Archinect
anchor

US Grad, Internship in Australia Advice?

RandomMistakes

Hello everyone,

In June, I will be graduating with a Master of Architecture from UCLA and have been intensively researching where I'd like to get an internship after graduation. I have a passion for residential architecture and seem to gravitate toward Australian architecture. I've been compiling a list of firms that I'd love to apply to but I thought I should ask if anyone has experience with international internships and the possible visa/hiring challenges.

Australia offers a 1 year work/holiday visa that allows me to work for any company for up to 6 months. After that time, I would need to get a work visa to continue.

Does anyone know how likely it is than an Australian firm would hire an entry level US graduate knowing that they could only work for 6 months before they would need to get involved in the sponsor/visa process?

If anyone has any advice or has gone through any similar process, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

Jan 11, 15 9:54 pm

Hi! I went to school in the US and moved to Australia to work several years ago. I went on a working holiday visa and then got sponsored after working for a few months. Without any work experience it is difficult but not impossible. Is it too late to do a short internship somewhere? Work experience is highly valued in Oz both by companies and it will also help you make your sponsorship case with the government if it comes to that. 

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Good luck!

Jan 12, 15 10:08 am  · 
 · 
RandomMistakes

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the response. It's good to hear at least one success story. I have a bit of work experience, but only from summers, so still less than a year combined. Considering that doesn't count for much here in LA, I imagine it's the same in Australia.

I'll write you with a few more specific questions, thanks for the advice!

Jan 12, 15 1:24 pm  · 
 · 

Are you aware of the BUNAC program?

http://www.bunac.org/usa/work-abroad/australia

Jan 30, 15 8:03 am  · 
 · 
austarch

Hi Random,

I'm a senior architect in Australia. I worked at a firm in Australia that hired a recent graduate from the UK, including sponsorship. The director did think hard about the sponsorship thing as it is a bit of extra paperwork etc for the employer but for the right person they'll do it. You just need to find the right employer....the newer grads tend to have the advantage in terms of up-to-the-minute 3D drawing/rendering skills so if you have those you could be valuable to someone, as outsourcing that can be pricey.

Bear in mind a slow market in Oz at the moment, but that can work to your advantage - impoverished firms are more likely to take on juniors rather than seniors due to lower salaries. Also short-term contracts are the norm here right now so 6 months or a year should not be an issue.

Consider applying to some design-build companies - many of these have architects lurking amongst them and some do decent work, and I notice they (rather than 'pure' architecture firms) are mostly the ones advertising for staff right now. And it is valuable experience - you might actually get out on site, and they probably won't stick you in the corner and make you draw car parks all day. Although, they might. It is a traditional thing for juniors to do!

Also research/target where you plan to live/apply: NSW is quite bouyant right now re construction activity, other states not so much. But everywhere other than Sydney is significantly cheaper to live...

Good luck!

Feb 11, 15 2:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: