Archinect
anchor

M.Arch Applicants for fall 2015

vaish77

Hi Guys!

I'm sure most of you will be done with your applications by now. Lets keep each other updated about decisions.

• 26/F/India
  • B.Arch(I.D) Interior Design- 5 years
  • 4 years of work experience at Architecture and Interior design firms + 5 months of Internship
  • GRE - 151 (V) 158 (Q)
  • No GPA- Percentage system- 67 on 100
  • TOEFL- 109
  • Portfolio- http://issuu.com/vaishnaviramesh

Categorised my projects under Academic,Personal,Competitions and Professional

Applied to 

1.USC

2.NCSU

3.RISD

4.OSU- Knowlton School

5.MIT

Will be adding a few more schools to this list. Any suggestions?

Dec 19, 14 2:22 am
abhiv711

Hey. your overall profile is really good especially portfolio and TOEFL .GRE does not matter see this link

http://archinect.com/forum/thread/93595949/2014-m-arch-applicants-final-results-decisions-stats-etc/

Consider: Cornell,Pratt,Penn state,CMU

You have a chance of getting into other college

Dec 20, 14 1:29 am  · 
 · 
vaish77

CMU does not have a NAAB accredited M.Arch option. Cornell and Penn state are good. But my GPA is pretty low. So I might not get a scholarship.

Dec 20, 14 11:08 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Why is your GPA low?

Dec 21, 14 6:33 am  · 
 · 
TED

placebeyondthesplines - Lots of countries have degree classifications that don't equate to US percentage of GPA -

vaish77  You should contact NARIC and get a statement of compatibility -

Dec 21, 14 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@TED I'm very aware of that. I was responding to this statement: "But my GPA is pretty low."

Dec 21, 14 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
TED

placebeyondthesplines In UK some Uni's are going to GPA, so someone in UK getting 67 - it would be a B+ or approx 3.4-3.5 gpa

• 75 – 100 A+ 4.5 Pass
  • 70 – 74 A 4.0 Pass
  • 65 – 69 B+ 3.5 Pass
  • 60 – 64 B 3.0 Pass
  • 55 – 59 C+ 2.5 Pass
  • 50 – 54 C 2.0 Pass
  • 45 – 49 D+ 1.5 Pass
  • 40 – 44 D 1.0 Pass
  • 0 – 39 Various 0.0 Resit / Fail
Dec 21, 14 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@TED I'm aware of that as well. That's a pretty poor showing, and the original poster even said as much. I'm asking why her grades were so low because I'm curious about what she intends to do differently in graduate school. 

Dec 21, 14 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
mcfd

OK, I'll give this a shot after having spent so many hours lurking on this great forum. 

• 47 / M / USA
  • BA in Art, emphasis in Photography UC Santa Cruz
  • Almost 20 years of experience making custom furniture, doing carpentry and remodeling both as an employee and as a contractor, and past three years of part-time work as a code-enforcement officer.
  • GRE 167 V, 154 Q, 4.0 Analytical
  • No GPA; narrative evaluations, but my undergraduate work was, shall we say, uneven. Excelled in many courses, scraped by in others. If I had to assign a number it would probably be in the 3.0 range. 
  • Portfolio (not quite the final version, but close) http://issuu.com/mcfd/docs/marchadmissionsportfolio2015/0

Most intersted in sustainability, but not a total building science geek either. Design and aesthetics are important to me as well. 

Applying to:

• UBC Vancouver (working on getting dual citizenship, so this would be far and away the cheapest option, Vancouver rental rates notwithstanding, plus the program is enticing.)
  • U Buffalo (I live in NY state)
  • UC Denver
  • UNM 
  • UT Knoxville
  • Univ. Cincinnati
  • Cornell (pretty much a Hail Mary, I know, but I live in Ithaca so what the hell.)
  • NCSU

Given that I'm well into my 40s having significant student loan debt is not an option I'm interested in, which is part of why I'm not applying to many private schools. Also, I've lived different places and the consideration of where my wife and I will live for the next four years is not unimportant. 

Good luck to everyone!

Dec 21, 14 4:49 pm  · 
 · 
meat ball

@mcfd Have you ever considered UVA. They claim their tuition is one of the cheapest. And their reputation of architecture is good.

Dec 25, 14 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
mcfd

Hey meat ball, I did look at them, but unless I saw bad numbers they aren't especially affordable, in the $44,000 range. (And here's something I've noticed about the websites for schools: the tuition numbers can be very difficult to come by, sometimes buried many levels deep and then not completely clear when you finally do find them. There is often ambiguity as to whether the numbers represent semesters or full academic years.)

Thanks for the reply.

Dec 27, 14 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
tomahawks_619

@mcfd I know you are worried about the cost hence you could give UC Berkley or UCLA a try . The first term will be expensive unless they givey ou scholarship but then if you become a cali resident you will be paying in state tuition. I only say this because a lot of the schools except for cornell and Cincinnati has a very mediocre approach of teaching architecture also has very minimal alumni connections which pretty much determines a lot of the post graduation period .

You could also try Michigan but good luck

Dec 27, 14 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

It's not that easy to establish residency. They could reject you because being a student is not a criterion they consider for residency and then what, $34,000+ a year for out-of-state at any school? 

Think these things through.

Dec 27, 14 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@mcfd I understand your cost concerns, but you should really be applying to much better schools. Your portfolio is very strong for a non-architecture background applicant. 

Dec 27, 14 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
mcfd

@tomahawks_619 Thanks for those suggestions and for replying. I'd be interested to know more about why you think the schools on my list are 'mediocre.' Not top tier, I know, but from what I can tell with the research I've done (including on this forum) they have solid programs that, like any school, will reward the effort one puts into it. 

Also, as I mentioned, where we live is important to me. I didn't seriously consider any schools in NYC or Boston for that reason, likewise Syracuse, even though I'm sure they're all excellent programs. 

@placebeyondthesplines I appreciate your looking at my portfolio, and your assessment of its merit. It's difficult to know, coming from outside of the profession, how I rank as a candidate. Sort of like running a race when you can't see the other runners and know nothing about them. If you suggest any other schools, I'll give them a look, and based on the comments here I may try cutting a couple from my list and add another, better school. Perhaps Clemson, or Ball State. As for Michigan... it's that damn calculus requirement. 

But, deadlines are coming up fast (or have already gone by) so if I make a change in course, it will have to happen soon and towards a limited number of alternate schools. 

Thanks again, both  of you.

Dec 27, 14 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Those prerequisite requirements really are not a big deal. Take them from a community college, pass/fail, the summer before you start, and you'll be fine.

Why not UVA, UT Austin, U.Oregon, MIT, or Yale?

Dec 28, 14 1:44 am  · 
 · 
mcfd

@placebeyondthesplines That's encouraging. I knew that was an option, but it's hard to fit all that in what with working full time and doing the myriad other things that I have to do to prepare for moving. I'll reconsider that, and more carefully evaluate the actual time commitment needed. 

As for your other suggestions: UVA app is due tomorrow and UTAustin was December 15th. Oregon showed up in my research as good for sustainability, but I grew up in Portland and have no desire to live in Eugene, or in Portland again. MIT: could just barely make that deadline, maybe. Yale is a possibility, but one I hadn't seriously considered out of a lack of a clear sense of my strength as an applicant. I've had advice from people locally, and most seem to think that I'll be accepted most places, but they're not the ones making the decisions. 

And @vaish77; sorry if I've hijacked this thread. Thought there'd be more people adding their application stories to the conversation. 

Dec 28, 14 7:37 am  · 
 · 
anaiira

@mcfd: That's a rocking portfolio. The furniture are great. Tangent from this thead: How did you get into furniture making? Were you just always interested in building things and you made some stuff along the way or...?

Less of a tangent: I went to the B.Ends program at UBC (design oriented, same faculty & professors, just not a master's program) and while I really enjoyed my cohort and the time I spent there, I found that it is heavily slanted towards concepts and conceptual design. Some of the masters students I've talked to feel similarly. Anyway, I'm curious why UBC attracted you so much. 

I'd also love to hear from other students at UBC & if they disagree with my thoughts.

----

Me:

My schools:

• Dalhousie
  • Harvard GSD
  • USC
  • UT Austin

Realistically, Dalhousie is probably both the school I'm most likely to get into and the school I'm most likely to be able to afford. I've heard their co-op program is fantastic (which... I don't think is open to masters' students but...?) and that in Canada at least they're really well known for a solid, technical degree. Plus, it's a two year masters (+ one term catch-up b/c non-architecture background)... which is both way shorter and way less expensive than anywhere else.

The other three are just... I mean if I can get in, it would be fantastic, but I can't go unless I get a scholarship. I'm also open to considering other schools too, I just ended up spending a ton of time trying to balance the risk of acceptance with what I knew about the school and what I wanted to learn.

Dec 28, 14 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

UC Denver is good as long as you do the Design-Build program, that part is amazing otherwise it is as good as most non Ivy's. It is more of a compressive program...it is not that theoretical but not a bad education either. They will give out of state after a year but get that driers license before school starts!!! Link below to the design build program which is by far the best thing they have going well and it is Colorado which is sweet and completely  legal weed haha.

http://coloradobuildingworkshop.com/

Dec 28, 14 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
mcfd

@anaiira Thanks for your kind words, it means a lot. To answer your questions: I got into furniture after working as a carpenter, after working as a studio photographer. The photography was unsatisfying ultimately, all that time spent tweaking the setup for taking a picture that, in the best case, would be seen by someone for 4 seconds. 

Carpentry: started as a grunt, worked my way up and learned all the trades, ended up renting a shop space with a friend and decided that I liked the control of the shop environment and also not having to schlep tools around everywhere. Shop work led to furniture, and I've been doing it ever since. 

I hadn't gotten that impression of UBC from the research I've done (although these things are hard to tell from the opposite coast) but given my strong background in building and all the other practical sides of building, a little theory would be fine by me. I honestly can't remember how I got to considering UBC originally, but from the people I've talked to it sounds good. Also, not insignificantly, I can get dual citizenship which would make it even more affordable than staying in state here in NY (even with the high rents of Vancouver.)

The upper tier schools I'm applying to might be long shots, but I really can't tell. I know they get all the excellent candidates they need, but I'm resting my case on my portfolio and background/resume. (I've also been working as a code enforcement officer, and have been involved in several policies and projects related to energy efficiency.) 

Had a look at your portfolio: very nice. And your other stats look impressive as well (you pretty much murdered those GREs, eh?) Smart that you're applying to Harvard and some other top schools, and good luck to you. 

@Beepbeep Funny you should write that today: just started thinking today that I'd add Yale to my list and drop UC. It was not one of my top choices anyway, and partly because I'm not sure I want to live in Denver. Program sounds like it's OK, but nothing amazing. Again, though, hard to know until you're there, and like any school you get what you put into it. Did you go there? 

Dec 28, 14 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

I would add Yale for sure such a great program, I am from close to Ithaca which is funny . UC is fineI did go  there. I would drop the following before UC. I also got into Cornell so I actually think you may get it...You should add Cuse it is a really good program.

Drop these first I think...

• UNM 
  • UT Knoxville
Dec 28, 14 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
anaiira

@mcfd: Photography's always been an interesting, weird topic for me. Everything is so visual heavy that I'm sure I'm numb to the sheer amount of work it takes to make whatever fleeting impression I get for photos or movies or renders to look the way they do.

I wouldn't discourage you from UBC at all - a lot of people really like it. I was curious because I'd ruled it out pretty early on (alma mater) and it's interesting to me when people are curious about the program. Plus, it was the only Canadian university and I was wondering why that over say, Toronto or Waterloo or McGill.

On dual-citizenship, I'm looking to do the same thing (except Canada to US) and I was wondering if there was any good resources you've come across? 

And thank you for the kind words! It's always encouraging to hear that people like my work. And thank you for answering my questions!

Dec 29, 14 12:31 am  · 
 · 
mcfd

@Beepbeep Yale added, just in the nick of time. Deadline is Friday so you can guess how I spent my weekend. As for UNM and UTK: any reasons to drop those? UTK seems like it has a very strong program, especially in the area of sustainability. They have almost completed a new 20,00 sf fab lab in an old Cadillac dealership, they have many design-build opportunities and are now establishing some collaboration with the Oakridge National Laboratory. They have good institutional support, having just been given $10M for improvements, and the UT chancellor is apparently driven (like a demon) to continue changing UTK from a regional university into a place with an international presence. One thing that's different about them is that they are more interested in GPAs and test scores than most other schools that look at the portfolio first and second, and then at the rest of the package. 

As for Syracuse (I think that's what you meant), I'm pretty sure I don't want to live there. The location is important to me even though I'll be immersed in my studies. 

And UNM: any more to say about them? I'd be interested in your thoughts. 

Dec 29, 14 8:32 am  · 
 · 
FYC87

Categorised my projects under Academic,Personal,Competitions and Professional

Applied to...in order of preference...kinda

1. Princeton U

2. Cornell U

3. UC Berkeley

4. SCI-Arc

5. UBC

Not sure what are my chances, Princeton is a shot in the dark...now all we can do is wait.

Jan 4, 15 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
ReneeLangley-Salai

I went through this whole process last year.  I have a BA in Interior Design and applied for M. Arch 1 programs in LA that have NAAB accredited grad programs (this includes UCLA, Sci-Arc, and Woodbury University. (GRE scores 151 verbal, 158 math, writing 4, Undergrad GPA overall 3.25, major - 3.75) I was accepted at Sci-Arc and Woodbury. I ended up going to Woodbury because they have small class sizes and offered a scholarship.  I'm in my second semester now.  If you are looking for more options, I would definitely consider applying.  It has been a great experience and since its a small program you will get more opportunities than larger programs.  (There are 7 people in my studio this semester!  The one on one time with professors is great and the faculty is awesome!)

Jan 24, 15 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
mbr655

Background:

• 21/F/USA
  • B.A. Set Design w/ Concentration in Arch - Univ. Texas at Austin
  • GPA: 3.67
  • GRE: 148 (V) 153 (Q) 3.5 (W)

Applied:  

RISD

PennDesign

Parsons

Accepted at RISD today! SWEET. 

Hope everyone else starts to hear soon! This thread really helped me out!

Feb 17, 15 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
JJ11

Did anyone here receive any invitation to interview by GSD?

Feb 18, 15 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

No, as far as I know the GSD doesn't conduct any interviews.

Feb 18, 15 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
JJ11

but i have heard that there're some students in China who had receive perhaps skype interview or something...

Feb 18, 15 8:52 pm  · 
 · 
FYC87

well if ur close enough, its good to go visit your first and second choices, and try to arrange a meeting with professors that you are interested to speak with. Thats what I did with Cornell, and it really helps you decide which school is best for you.

Feb 18, 15 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
JJ11

I meant, interview invitation from GSD for admission purposes... perhaps they are finalizing their list...

Feb 18, 15 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

I'm in the states, and I know they don't do interviews here. I can't speak for students abroad.

Feb 18, 15 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
vaish77

@mbr655 Congrats on getting into RISD! Did you  for apply for M.Arch?

Anyone else heard from other schools?

Feb 18, 15 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
sirhc

@JJ11

My co-worker who went to PennDesign told me that most of the top schools are now cautious about accepting international students without hearing their English. Not to disrespect, but Asians in particular, have excellent profile but more often than not can't speak English very well. I witnessed some at my undergraduate institution as well (their projects are usually decent). If they interviewed selected international students only, then I highly suspect that main purpose is to test their English speaking ability.

Feb 18, 15 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
JJ11

ic. I agree with you that we asian dont really have the environment to speak English. But even if we are not good at communicating using English at the time, we still deserve a chance if we are able to come out with good design work. U know, design and drawings themselves are already good languanges. I worked in a English speaking environment, and have use English as my studying language when i was in college... I tried to take the toefl exam once, still can't score as high as students from China and Taiwan... and all I can do is, to accept other people's opinion that I am still not ready for studying in English speaking environment... I don't even know if my portfolios are reviewed... I am kinda dissappointed...sigh...

but anyway, it's true that I didn't meet the toefl result requirement... i think i just have to live with it...

perhaps later i'll upload my portfolio... i have put so much time on it, dont want to waste my effort simply because of school's reject...

Feb 19, 15 1:58 am  · 
 · 
mwnnown

@JJ11

I really dont think test score matters that much. I'm an international/asian student, but I did't even take the toefl. I had the chance to meet with professors and chairs from different programs at the GSD when I was working in Cambridge. They told me that I dont have to take the the exam since I was educated in the states. I also talked to the admission office because their website stated that  all applicants whose native language is not English are required to take the toefl. They told me the same.

Anyway, i am super nerves too,coz GSD is the only school I applied for.. not knowing makes me anxious.....

Feb 19, 15 10:30 am  · 
 · 

also, the interview is for international students who are educated outside the US only, to evaluate English speaking ability, coz TOEFL doest really reflect on that.

Feb 19, 15 10:41 am  · 
 · 
bvega

Has anyone heard back from domestic (USA) architecture schools in regards to decisions or interviews? I think they normally release them around March 6th or 7th, but I'm not sure.

Feb 19, 15 11:59 am  · 
 · 
sirhc

@JJ11

Don't be too discouraged. Your work is what matters in the end and as you said, projects can speak for themselves in architectural language. There are tons of successful architects who were once an international student with poor English. Some are considered starchitects, because their work is great. That being said, I would be interested in seeing your portfolio if you don't mind sharing. I believe you'll have chance to get in if your work is great.

Feb 19, 15 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
thebloodfiend

Let's see:

Background:

• 20/F/USA
  • B.A. Architecture - University of New Mexico
  • GPA: 3.3
  • GRE: 165 (V) 155 (Q) 4 (W)

Applied:  

RISD — In for M.Arch 

Pratt — N/A

Columbia — N/A

UMaryland — N/A

UPenn — N/A

Honestly, RISD is my dream school, so I'm probably going there unless Columbia offers me an amazing scholarship. I just hate that RISD offered so soon, but I still have to wait another month and a half to hear back from Columbia... god, I hate waiting. 

Feb 19, 15 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@JJ11

But even if we are not good at communicating using English at the time, we still deserve a chance if we are able to come out with good design work.

This is a huge oversimplification. Graduate education isn't just about what you get out of a given institution, it's also about what you contribute to the school and how your interactions with students and faculty inform your design work beyond your time there.

Simply put, if you can't speak the language of your fellow students, you won't be able to learn from them and they won't be able to learn from you, and your ability to learn from faculty will be dramatically limited. If you can't understand lectures, participate in discussions, or adequately explain your work at reviews, you are missing fundamental components of what architecture school is.

Feb 19, 15 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Driko
I wish I applied to RISD. Congrats to those who have been accepted so far!
Feb 19, 15 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
konggeshang

@Driko

I applied to RISD and Sci-arc and received nothing...So I've been waitlisted or just should wait for rej ?

Also applied Upen, UO, UIUC, WUSTL, VT,  Syracuse, PRATT, TAMU, USC, U Miami.

Just hope one of these schools will let me in.

Feb 19, 15 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
bvega

I can tell you that Sci-arc wont let you know till around april...I called them the other day and asked. Seems kinda late, but thats what it is. I just got my first acceptance to Tulane today with a financial aid offer, so they should be coming soon.

Feb 19, 15 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
konggeshang

@bvega

I received that email too and it looks like an unofficial wl. All of the rest applicants received it.

I hate stucking in the limbo...How can they be so cruel? ∑(っ °Д °;)っ

Feb 19, 15 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
Kell

According to gradcafe , someone was accepted to sci arc over the weekend by phone 

Feb 19, 15 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

@PBS
I think there is often a relationship between language barriers and quality of work. People develop in a very isolated manner, with minimal absorption of ideas from other students or professors, and it shows. I say often, but frankly I've never met anyone who was going to a school where they couldn't communicate that had a great body of work.

Feb 19, 15 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
konggeshang

As far as I know, they accepted at lest 4 applicants.

Feb 19, 15 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
bvega

@Kell

I just called the school and they told me that mid march was when they released the decisions and that none of them would be by phone for the M.Arch 3 year path.

Feb 19, 15 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
thebloodfiend

@natematt

I agree. We had a few South Korean exchange students last semester, and they produced good work but it was hard explaining certain concepts to them and vice-versa, which makes me almost sad because I liked some of their work and I wanted to know how they did it. 

@konggeshang

As far as RISD goes, I got their email offer Tuesday. They said they'd send FinAid and the Acceptance letter later. As far as I know, Penn/Pratt are first week of March. Columbia, first week of April. All online decisions. Good luck. 

Feb 19, 15 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
archhopeful

@konggeshang

I just now got an acceptance email with scholarship offer from Miami, so you should hear from them soon too if you applied by February 1st.

@thebloodfiend

Why do you think Columbia isn't until April? Last year's applicants heard back on March 14.

I'm going crazy waiting for Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Penn, Columbia, WashU and Virginia!!

Feb 19, 15 5:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: