Archinect
anchor

Firm Network Filing Structure

the orange menace

We are currently looking to consolidate / reorganize our network filing structure and I'm curious to know how other firms have their digital files organized.

Currently we have multiple network drives - Cad, Graphics, Admin, and some others. A typical project, using firm standards, would have 2d and 3d modeling files (cad, revit, sketchup, rhino, etc), on the 'cad' drive; presentation work on the 'graphics' drive (all adobe files, basically - PSDs, AI, InDesign, etc, along with research); and more project management type files on the admin drive (emails, project directory, CA files, construction photos, etc).

I wasn't here when this structure was set up, but I'm guessing it was mostly about physical server space. Graphics files used to be the biggest, storage used to be expensive, etc. Now that neither of those things are necessarily true there seems to be no reason not to consolidate.

What does your network setup look like?

(It's a 300+ person firm, for what it's worth)

Dec 3, 14 2:35 pm
el jeffe
what you've got is good. it keeps admin and marketing people out of the technical documents.
Dec 3, 14 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

Virtual machines are bad idea, we have them and it cost us 3-4 full days of down time firm wide since all of your eggs are on one physical machine.

Organization has to be simple descriptive and able to grow fast

Dec 4, 14 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Bench

This scenario seems a little odd - shouldnt you have one single project file for each one that comes in and all relevant documents in there? (Excluding admin/etc.). I think I would get very frustrated having to navigate between two different server drives for a Rhino file and an Illustrator file...

Dec 4, 14 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
the orange menace

BenC - it is very frustrating. We are already moving to one project file for 'working' design files - drafting/modeling thru graphics and presentation. I think we're just looking at what other additional changes could be made to improve workflow and organization, as this would be the time to do it while we're already shuffling everything.

Dec 5, 14 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: