Archinect
anchor

how to make myself stand out among the competition

Mthomas1993

All,

I have roughly a year left to complete my 5 year B.Arch. As i'm approaching this exciting yet nerve wrecking moment of graduation, i'm trying to assemble my portfolio in a way that will make me marketable. i'd say i'm a pretty well-rounded pre-professional; I've had 2 internships so far, am proficient in many computer programs, and i attend a school where energy efficient design is heavily emphasized. i'm also a writer and musician, and i'd like to think i have a good personality (which, i learned this summer, means a LOT to potential employers)

I've been told the employment outlook for architects is supposed to skyrocket in the next few years, due to the constant tightening of energy standards, and the need for young 'tech savy' architects that are proficient in GIS, BIM, revit, etc..

what i'm asking for is some professional advice on, like i said, how to stand out among the rest. will my computer modeling skills secure me a position? are technologies like GIS in high demand? will a masters degree in arch. or sustainability get me anywhere? i would like to start planning, while i'm still in school, how to shape myself and what directions to take as I step into the professional world.

here is a link to my current online portfolio (needs roughly half a year worth of updates)

behance.net/archmatthewthomas

thanks in advance!

Nov 26, 14 2:49 pm
natematt

Brutal honesty time.

Will my computer modeling skills secure me a position?
From what I can tell, no. Your skill level seems on par with most recent grads, which is to say it won't make you stand out.

I attend a school where energy efficient design is heavily emphasized
I’m not really seeing much in the way of sustainable design focus in your projects. It is a big thing for a lot of firms, so if you really have that skill you should probably make more of a point in showing that aspect of your design ability.

As for construction, I am still not seeing a level of experience or skill. The details you have are not necessarily bad, but they are not reflecting any kind of design thinking. And there isn’t really enough to think, “ok this person is really experienced or interested in details”

I’m not going to talk in length about your design thinking, or presentation/graphics. I think they are both somewhere in a middle ground, and not really your highest selling point.

Advice, or something like it…  

Don’t use a generic portfolio site as a way to present your projects. Behance is fine, but you should have it as a customized prosite if you are going to show it to potential employers.

I would love to see some details for sustainable systems, details from your studio projects, system diagrams for sustainability, urban plans or studies that show where GIS could have been useful… If you are talented with sustainable design, smack me across the face with it!

I honestly think your biggest selling point from what I have seen is having previous experience. That is a tough nut to crack.

Also... Revit?

Nov 26, 14 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Bowtie? 

Nov 26, 14 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Can you take a wild guess as to what you are missing in your wall section posted on your website??

Nov 26, 14 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Wear a short skirt

Nov 26, 14 5:36 pm  · 
 · 

natematt: i appreciate the in depth criticism. some of these projects are from 1st year (when everyone is just trying to design the coolest, most impractical building ever). i didn't take into consideration that they don't display a more technical level of thinking, outside of making 'pretty pictures'. so let me expand on my question....

-what websites do you recommend where i can achieve a more custom-friendly portfolio? (preferably for free)

and also..

-what are your thoughts on grad school? what can i get out of a masters that i wouldn't be able to get with a B.arch

thanks again for the honesty

Nov 26, 14 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

wear no skirt

Nov 26, 14 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

Wear a short skirt and no panties. 

Nov 26, 14 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

Wear a short skirt and no panties and a see through white t-shirt.

Nov 26, 14 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

It’s not so much that I think you need to be more technical, but rather that if you say you’re focus is on something you have to really show that. In this case, sustainability stuff, which is easiest to express technically, be it diagrams of systems, or details.

That said, I think the best way to stand out is to have really thoughtful, interesting work, and to represent it beautifully.  Getting past the initial flip through your resume/work samples is the hardest part. That’s why networking is a lot better approach for most people.

For free? Not sure. I had dozens of projects on behance when I decided to make a website, so I thought it would make things much easier to just use their prosite for mine. Plus it displays how I want, give or take. A lot of people seemed to like it. It’s something like 100$ a year.

If you primary motivation is a job, I don’t kow what to say about grad school. You’ll have a professional degree right? Then you don’t NEED an March. It seems like these days an MArch is the standard, so it won’t really give you an edge if you have one, might hurt you a little if you don’t. I’m not nearly in the know enough about this sort of thing to tell you though.

If you’re really interested in a specific topic you could always do a MSc, which would probably give you a bit of an edge in that specific area of expertise, but wouldn’t really count on degrees to get you where you want to go, it’s the knowledge and skill that is presumably behind them that matters.

Nov 26, 14 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
geobag

Hey all, I've recently relocated state and completed an unpaid internship this year. Why is it so difficult to land a paid job, or even just a job in general? When most firms are asking for minimum 2 years post industry experience how is it even possible to find something in this ever growing competitive nature of the industry?! Any feedback would do wonders as i don't know if anymore unpaid positions would be beneficial.

Johnny

http://johnnydesign.com.au/

Nov 28, 14 5:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: