Archinect
anchor

R-2 - Fire Rated Walls Code Question

mychaelp

Hello,

A complicated (to me) code question. 2013 CBC:

We have an Existing R-2 apartment building 15' from a proposed B occupancy.

Plan checker caught that we have our renovated B occupancy building (was R2) too close to the R2 adjacent.

Goal is to justify assumed property line 5' from existing R-2, leaving 10'-6" to the B adjacent building thus allowing non-rated construction for B adjacent on same site, We don't want to upgrade the R2 at all.

Table 601

Bearing Walls for Type V-B = 0 hours

Non-bearing notes to see Table 602

Table 602

From 0’ to 10’ notes 1 hour

Footnote “h” for R occupancy notes: Where Table 705.8 permits nonbearing exterior walls with unlimited openings, the req. fire-resistance rating for exterior walls is 0 hours.

Table 705.8

5’ to 10’ allows 10% of Unprotected, Nonsprinklered.

Section 705.8.1 Exception 2: Buildings whose exterior bearing walls (noted in Table 601 for 0 hours), exterior nonbearing walls and exterior structural frame are not required to be fire-resistive rated shall be permitted to have ***unlimited unprotected openings***. This last portion is where we feel it may qualify footnote “h” from Table 602.

This area in the code seems to contain a circular reference with the non-bearing referred to 602 but then to 705, then back to 602 again to get the rating.

Thoughts? Or am I too vague?

Nov 17, 14 1:41 pm
gruen
Without digging out my code book, I think you have the correct read- except put the imaginary property line at 5'-1".
Nov 17, 14 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
mychaelp

Thank you @gruen for the comment. I think it's correct also, but need to meet with the City to be certain. Also going to talk about Storage Rooms and their ADA requirement here in CA. My boss wants to simply rename to "Closet", but I really don't want to go for a 3rd Plan Check by doing that without consulting the City first. I may end up using the existing Storage Rooms as Data, Mech, etc.

Nov 17, 14 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Closets are little rooms that no one goes inside-therefore no ADA requirement-narrow doors OK. Storage rooms are larger. But just put an ADA door on them then OK.
Nov 17, 14 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: