Archinect
anchor

Opinion on exterior

adnanyusuf

Could you please tell me what is wrong with the color scheme of the exterior(attached image) and how it can be made better. I have a feeling its out of balance or something, but can't get it. Baring the door colors which will be changed anyway.

Thanks.

Sep 24, 14 3:36 pm
Non Sequitur

It needs sunshine and glitter glue. If that does not work, kill those horizontal stacked windows. Kill them with fire.

Sep 24, 14 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Is this going to be a farmhouse? It looks so removed from whatever context it is currently placed in.

Sep 24, 14 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the cars should be red.  why would someone have a car that isn't red?

Sep 24, 14 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

you could start with some materials...

Sep 24, 14 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

People don't like modern. You need some fluted columns and 6 over 6 double hung windows.

Sep 24, 14 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Loads of arch-tops. That's what fits in around here.
Sep 24, 14 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Dude, it appears that your model is made of cardboard or plastic, it’s a study model of shapes and masses albeit simple (no critique from me). Applying colors or materials to it is like decorating a cake, can’t be done. Color comes from material choices and includes texture as well as color and it takes a trained eye to get it right. Given the simplicity of the building type I would draw a front elevation and work on getting the material choices balanced and work on the colors much later.

Sep 24, 14 9:51 pm  · 
 · 

Carrera,

It's a 3d digital model but a number #1 glaring issue is that the OP doesn't have lighting environment correctly set. There is no decent sky, distant background terrain and lighting environment. It looks like using default sky and lighting. NEVER do that, adnanyusuf, especially when you want a critique of a raytraced rendering. You'll need to simulate your sky and lighting condition, material, texture and color as correctly as possible... especially with a raytraced rendering of a CG model. 

Adnanyusuf,

Your balance issue comes from applying the wood horizontal texture in your CG model. If you want to keep the wood pattern on that third floor section, take a look at using that texture on the first floor on the left half of the building (the side where the cars are located).

Produce a rendering of that. There maybe other issues with the overall design and choices going into it. Without a context background and other details, I can't really give a fair critique.

What you are trying to get with such design is BALANCED ASYMMETRY. It's asymmetrical... for sure but you want to balance the "color masses" (which is also linked to material and texture as well.)

I don't think I agree with everything in your design but I'm reserving being too judgmental on it. 

Sep 25, 14 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I would listen to Carrera, who is, you know, an actual architect.
No amount of digital fiddling, lighting, materials, or backgrounds is going to make a shit design better.

Sep 26, 14 12:26 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Color – wish to add to discussion that texture and color is principally the same thing – the texture creates the color. Learned along the way that color is a product of light reflectance which when you read about the subject it’s hard to wrap your head around. That’s why you can’t really color a model or rendering because the texture of the selected material is not present. Again - you can try with a computer rendering but will only get close – so why try? Still waiting for that fuck to send me that Chinese rendering.

Sep 26, 14 8:24 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Carrera, I took a class on visual perception and the brain where the professor explained all that stuff quite nicely. Luminence is a physical property and brightness is a psychophysical property, so includes the aspect of perception. He explained all the common optical illusions and why they work and used architecture in some of his examples. 

Sep 26, 14 10:17 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

so why try?

lol.  it never occurred to me to ask that question. i just kept trying to do better.

Sep 26, 14 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

During undergrad we sat in a dark studio with a white model head and a single "white" light source. Every 15 minutes or so the professor added a slightly bluer gel to the light. After a few hours he took the gel off and went back to the "white" light. It was pretty amazing because due the lack of other light sources and the adjustment time allowed the eye and brain were pretty sure towards the end that fully saturated blue light was white.

You can also have a grand old time hanging out in a large room lit by sodium vapor lights. Give it a couple of hours and walk outside into the bluest world you've ever seen.

Anyhow, lighting is a great tool that most architects never use.

Sep 26, 14 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: