Archinect
anchor

Favorite projects?

CD.Arch
Hey guys, what is your favorite project that you have ever designed or worked on in some way or another? Pictures are welcome, and remember these are YOUR projects not someone else's that you admire.

Sep 17, 14 9:47 am
gwharton

All my best stuff is covered by NDAs. Can't publish any of it.

Sep 17, 14 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Is everyone gonna be like that gwharton?
Sep 17, 14 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

CD.Arch, I don't think I can post pictures but I was heavily involved in the design of a large conference/exhibition hall and it is one of my favourite and earliest projects. I remember detailing the large gypsum board ceilings in the reception area (some 200' long) and I purposely placed a down-light into a wing that shout-out just so that you'd notice it out of place with the rest of the design. I did that so that I could light a car or other exhibit piece. BMW saw the renderings and the final built space and now there is a permanent BMW parked under that single down-light.

I have larger projects but it's little things like these that make things special.

Sep 17, 14 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
SuperKing

In these kind of threads, etiquette is, OP honors the deed first, unless they are trolling.

Sep 17, 14 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
x intern

CD Arch, Most people here are anonymous. You give an actual building it would only take a few minutes of work to identify them or at least their firm.  So you probably aren't going to get much with this question.   

Sep 17, 14 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

SuperKing, the OP is a high-school student interested in architecture... I do not think he has any projects to show.

Sep 17, 14 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
SuperKing

And who are you? His classmate?

Sep 17, 14 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
SuperKing

Never mind. I see you are not.

Sep 17, 14 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Non Sequitur, thank you. That sounds really cool. And you took this thread in the spirit it was given, I just wanted to set up a discussion about people's favorite work because no one really discusses their own work here with others. Maybe some one has ideas that work well and wanted to share them, etc.
Sep 17, 14 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Also, if someone isn't comfortable sharing their stories then they don't have to.
Sep 17, 14 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

I think what brought me the most pleasure in my work was crafting details that worked. I think it’s a craft to take a rendering and transform it into a living rendering. Just taking a design and throwing it over the transom into the CD department yields chunky details. I wish I still had the pictures but I once did a medial office that had a drive-under entry canopy – picture this – down came the metal roof to the gutter, then some exposed brick, then under the steel lintel/beam then jog back-up with brick then the metal soffit. 6 different materials coming together yielded what you are picturing – chunky - I took that and adjusted everything to end up with only 3 exposed materials with tight/smooth/flat transitions and it just sang when built. Our AIA chapter has a little design award each year on the best details – no harm in sharing those.

Sep 18, 14 11:08 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

my favorite project was this tiny pro-bono community thing I worked on a while back... the end result was decent - but it had more to do with the whole community process and getting to work with some really great people who were all on the same page.

I've worked on some pretty substantial projects (some published) - but having a great client makes a huge difference in how much I enjoy the project.

Sep 18, 14 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

My favorite project was a clothing boutique with all custom furniture and displays. The contractors even complimented me on the design and told me they loved working on it. I think the project went well because I was the right person for the job and like others have said above, the client and I hit it off and therefore the design worked on every level. The owner of the store loved the design, they filmed commercials there and included shots of the store in their print ads too. I did all the design and CD's in 2 weeks - with lots of overtime, a real life charette. 

Sep 18, 14 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: