Archinect
anchor

IDP availability of working in the overseas office of US corporate architectural firm

sims1216

Hi there,

I'm a junior designer in the overseas branch office of one of the biggest US firm, and i'm planning to go through the NCARB licensure in the future.(with m.arch degree) So i'm curious if i could get IDP credit working here.

But the problem is that we don't have US licensed architect here since we mostly work on the space planning, and collaborate with the office in US for big architectural projects.(We only have US licensed interior designers and usually hire local architects for record.) I've already read NCARB's IDP guideline about work setting issue, but it's pretty unclear whether i'm under the direct supervision.

Is there anyone who can advise me?

Thanks for reading.

Sep 14, 14 10:35 pm
sims1216

FYI, of course we do have US licensed architects in the office in US.(such as regional managing architect..)

Sep 14, 14 11:24 pm  · 
 · 

You'll be earning IDP under "Experience Setting O"

• Direct supervision by an architect not registered in the United States/Canada engaged in the practice of architecture outside of the United States or Canada.

When the firm hires an architect of record, it most likely will not constitute "direct supervision" (which NCARB defines on page 11 of the IDP Guidelines document), although the level of involvement will vary by project and by firm, so it is possible.  When working on some of these larger projects, where a US licensed architect is taking a leadership position over you, those hours have the potential to count towards Experience Setting A, depending again on the level of supervision.

Since you've mentioned working primarily on space planning, it is likely that you would need to either expand your role or move to another office to fulfill more IDP categories.  I would recommend speaking with your supervisor about your goals, and see about the potential of relocating to the US office to gain that experience and gain your minimum 1,860 hours in that "experience setting," at which point you could either return to your current office, or continue working in the US.

Sep 15, 14 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
sims1216

Joseph,

thanks for your kind response. As you mentioned, i think i need to transfer to US office, or apply to other US firm in the future.

here's my last question. So can i have my design director(US interior designer) as my supervisor and get some limited IDP credit according to NCARB guideline? or can licensed architect in US(who supervises me only in terms of HR) be my supervisor?

thanks so much.

Sep 16, 14 4:22 am  · 
 · 

You can absolutely gain some limited IDP credit where you are.  Being that your supervisor is an interior designer rather than a foreign architect, it may have to fall under the Supplemental Core Experience category.

Design or Construction Related Employment 

930 hours maximum 

Design or construction related activities under the direct supervision of a person experienced in the activity (e.g. analysis of existing buildings; planning; programming; design of interior space; review of technical submissions; management of building construction activities).

I made the assumption that you were being supervised by a foreign architect, so this may limit you further.  Given that is a little less than half a years worth of full time employment (assuming 40 hours a week), if you're unable to transfer in a reasonable time frame, you may want to explore the other supplemental opportunities like volunteer/leadership, design competitions, etc...

Now the crazy thought.. what if there is a foreign architect there, so after the 930 hour maximum (with your design director), you can work "under" that foreign architect for the "experience setting o" 1,860 hour maximum.  I don't know if that would fly with NCARB, but a sound argument can be made.

Sep 16, 14 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
sims1216

thank you for your kind advice Joseph!

Sep 18, 14 12:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: