Archinect
anchor

Some advice on software.. (Sigh, I know)

Quinnithin

I, in my naivety and youth am looking for some advice on what software to learn to add to what I know. I have completed 2 years of my undergraduate thus far and I know the basic/simpler softwares such as A-cad, Sketchup (with vray), photoshop and dabbled in others etc.

If you were to give advice to a 20 year old on what to learn next, would it be to learn Rhino, 3ds max, Revitt or the like? I really have no experience in those but I am pretty confident on what I currently know. My knowledge was more than adequate in my summer placement but I anticipate I wont be using SketchUp, AutoCad & Photoshop for the rest of my architectural life!

I am aware that design is not about software for the record.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Niall.

Sep 13, 14 5:38 pm
apapaz
Learn rhino. In my opinion it's the best design modeling software out there. Learn revit if your more interested in how a building is out together. Don't worry about 3ds because you can just get vray for 3ds and use vray to render
Sep 13, 14 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Rhino is cool, Revit is good for finding a job, Maya is fun to play around with

Sep 13, 14 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

learn to sketch by hand like a pro. perspectives, elevations, details. Get Architectural Graphic Standards and duplicate some details from it. ---- (my old ass iphone doesnt let me add line breaks) ---- I am also pretty fond of Rhino + Grasshopper. Revit + Dynamo + Vasari is also some good shit.

Sep 13, 14 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

learn rhino--it's what many firms design in--then learn revit--its what most firms are drafting in

Sep 14, 14 8:17 am  · 
 · 
Quinnithin

Cheers guys! I think I will learn Rhino as a start. I was reading that Revitt is for larger firms? (And collaborating with engineers etc) That is the type of firm I am not interested in so I don't think I will bother lol.

@archanonymous my archy school is quite a crafty one. I am seen as one of the more technologically inclined people using vray (funny I know!). We are encouraged to use our drawings boards even for reviews and to sketch a lot. Even the MArch is the same.

Sep 14, 14 8:22 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Maybe 10 years ago Revit was used mainly in larger firms. Nowadays though everyone has it as the main method of production it seems. Its the surest way to a job (I think there was a survey of firms published here about 1-2 months ago saying something like 75% of firms wanted new graduates to know Revit?)

Sep 14, 14 9:16 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

advice - don't sell yourself as a software expert, though - it's definitely useful to have a working knowledge of a bunch of different software packages, but be wary of firms looking for a revit/modeling/rendering guru because that's what you'll end up doing - unless that's what you want to do.

Sep 14, 14 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Rhino + Revit will make you good. As much I hate Sketchup, Id advise picking it up (will not take more than a few days), to make yourself employable. Its amazing how many large firms use sketchup to crank out mediocre shit...

Sep 14, 14 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

^ ^ I found Sketchup is also a decent introducer of skills to be transferred into Rhino after as well

Sep 14, 14 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Revit is a bit of a catch22. It's great for real life, and frankly you should learn it if you want a better chance at getting a job. But you probably shouldn't use it in school, unless you are doing really small, really detailed/technical projects. It only really works well if you are bringing a building to full resolution.

Rhino is basically Acad. If you've used one you can do the other with very little transition time and be fairly effective. Basically rhino is better at 3d and has more plug-ins, and cad is better at 2d and has more compatibility with other ADesk products, but neither are particularly bad at the other if you want to use them for it.

Sketchup sucks, but it's good to know, a lot of firms use it for quick stuff, and a lot of people who have very little program skill will use it and want you to use it.

Sep 18, 14 1:02 am  · 
 · 
3tk

You should know Rhino, AutoCAD, SketchUp and some Revit to be employable.  I've been fascinated by the number of small firms using Revit these days.  Rhino is most useful for exploration of designs, but if you have a DD/ProPrac class, it'll be helpful to try Revit (I'm told the learning curve can be steep at first, but I've seen more and more schools use it to teach ProPrac projects).

Sep 19, 14 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
ecnal

As others have said, rhino is great. You should learn the difference between nurbs modelling (rhino) and mesh modelling, and learn a package that uses each. Mesh modelling can be much more flexible generally at the cost of accuracy. 3ds max/maya/cinema 4d are all good mesh tools.

Oct 2, 14 1:14 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Rhino+grasshopper for design

Revit+Dynamo(Grasshopper like language for Revit)

I have found the most successful are equally proficient at both - in school, I went from Maya to Revit - also take a C# class or two so you can code custom nodes in Dynamo

Oct 2, 14 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: