Archinect
anchor

International student jobs

mengxihe
Just a quick question. I'm going to Pratt Institute for architecture. I'm an international student. I want to work in the US when I graduate. Is it particularly hard for an international student to get a job here?

Aug 14, 14 5:06 am
ˊ_>ˋ

I’m also an international student. It’s not easy for most new graduates to get their first job in architecture. TRY YOUR BEST TO FIND A SUMMER INTERNSHIP in the US. If you have a hard time finding a summer internship, then it won’t be too easy for you to find your first job after graduation.

If you really want to work in the US, for sure you can eventually find a job (regardless of location and salary). You can use OPT (a work visa) to work for one year. If you want to work for more than one year, then you have to apply for H1B, but I heard the possibility of getting H1B is not high (the application is very competitive), and sometimes the firms won’t be willing to help international students apply for H1B when they can simply hire American citizens to do the same jobs.

Aug 14, 14 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
mengxihe
Thanks for the input, so, how can I find a summer internship? By internship you mean unpaid internship or paid? Will firms willing to take me as an intern if I don't have any work experience? And also you said its hard to find a first job, so once I find the first job, it will be easier for the next time?
Aug 14, 14 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
ˊ_>ˋ

I asked my one of my instructors for summer internship. It’s the easiest way. And, don’t spend too much time on on-line application…

I assume you haven’t started your school yet? When you are in school, ask your classmates how they get internship and what kind of tasks they are assigned to do in firms. Besides, if you have internship, you will have a better understanding about the architecture workplace in the US. And the working experience will (/might) help you find your next job.

Or, spend some time looking at Archinect, especially the posts about employment.

By the way, I never heard any of my classmates worked for free. Is unpaid internship even legal in the US? International students use CPT to work before they graduate.

Aug 14, 14 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
mengxihe
Oh, thank you very much for the information! Yeah, I haven't start my school yet. Just wanna know this thing ahead so I can prepare for it.
Aug 15, 14 4:36 am  · 
 · 
Aka115

Are you going to school for M.arch or B.arch? Any Drafting software background? You can work for part-time employment/internship while u are in school with CPT. Depends on ur program and school, the eligibility of CPT will vary.

Since NY have a lot of small firms, I am sure you can find something. I suggest applying to small firms for ur first internship which has less competitions than major well-known firms. Trying to set up informational interviews like other people suggested in the forum. Pratt may have internal internship postings on their career website.

Your first internship may be working on rendering, helping with modeling or assisting drafting/red lining. I suggest you seek CD experience which will be useful when u r looking for real job.

To answer your question, yes it is harder for international student to get a job especially if u are seeking h1b. As long as the firm like u and u are a good asset to them, they will sponsor u.

Good luck with ur school and job search

Aug 23, 14 2:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: