Archinect
anchor

1920s Residential Mystery on East Bench of SLC - Ideas?

TimG

We just did a major remodel on our 1927 brick home. We're stumped as to what architectural style it falls into. Pictures are attached below. The first picture is a tax photo from 1932 so you can see it hasn't changed at all on the exterior. Forgive the yard. We're in the process of landscaping it including a 3' tall hoop and arrow rod iron fence.

To my novice eye the house is all over the place in terms of style. It seems like the pediment is Greek Revival. The front picture window is sort of Chicago Style. The gable-front is almost Federal or Colonial Revival. Heck if it had a hipped roof I'd think it was a Four Square except for the Porte Cochere and the slanting bump out room to the left. Googling old house images I have yet to find anything that seems to match. It's in the Utah Historic Society's register and they define it as a "Colonial Revival / Neo-Classical". Someone took a shot of the house online and defined it as a "Chicago Style Bungalow" but after googling that style that doesn't seem quite right either. The house is 4700 sq-ft on three floors including a full basement and it was a custom built house when built in the 20s.

Any insights? Any resources that I should be checking out?

Thank you for the help.

Tim

Aug 4, 14 6:16 pm
drums please, Fab?

it's a brick ......... HAUS!

mighty might-tay, jus' lettin' it all hang OUT!

it's a brick ....:::::::... HAUUUUUUS!

dat haus's stacked n dats a fact

aint holdin' NUTHIN BACKKKKKK!

Aug 5, 14 12:56 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

http://www.midcenturyhomestyle.com/styles/minimal-traditional.htm

According to this website:  "minimal traditional" ... or basically your fairly typical 1920s, brick, american house.

Aug 6, 14 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
proto

we labeled our bungalow "1924 classic beater style"

never put the cash in to get a plaque tho

Aug 6, 14 4:43 pm  · 
 · 

Many homeowners come and start threads asking what style their historic home is.  Here is one.  Here is another.  And another.  And another.

Read the first thread closely.  The common response in all these threads boils down to the same sentiment: it's an American style of building from the last century.  It has elements of several historic-ish styles depending on what was popular among buyers of the time and what was possible for the builder.

To paraphrase Steven Ward, naming styles is a realtor's game.  It helps them give a place character.  If you love your house, which you must, it doesn't need to be categorized.  If you work with an architect to design anything for your home, that designer will hopefully (if it's your preference) design in a way that is simpatico to what you like about the original building.

Aug 6, 14 4:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: